PDA

View Full Version : Video Conversion Tools (A Challenge)

craig10x
August 24th, 2013, 03:11 PM
A friend of mine uses windows and he uses several programs to do video conversions of video files he gets from newsgroups and then posts to them (encrypted as zip files) after they are completed...
He told me he doubts if there are programs in linux that match the ones he uses in windows...I told him i'd inquire on the ubuntu forum to see if anyone can make suggestions on appropriate linux available programs, so a list of linux ones that will do the job as well would be appreciated ;) (assuming there are of course)....I've been trying to encourage him to try ubuntu but he always seems to feel that he would not have access to the same quality programs he gets in windows...

Here is what he uses

"I use a program from TMPGEnc called Video Mastering Works 5 for major conversion work. Another program that is sometimes necessary for audio demuxing is Pazera Audio Extractor. I also use the 7-Zip file manager program, and a program called QuickPar, both of which are used to slice and dice the files. For posting, I use Camelsystem's Power Post.

See what you can do, but I doubt if you will find anything like TMPGEnc's program--- it's a workhorse."

kevdog
August 24th, 2013, 03:27 PM
It really depends on the format of your video files. Handbrake and KdenLive are good for me with video conversion (for web) and video editing. ffmpeg also does a lot of video conversion. 7zip file manager-- welll there is the basic tar czvf command that creates tar.gz archives. Don't know about posting programs.

Erik1984
August 24th, 2013, 04:33 PM
ffmpeg is great for scripted conversion of video but I'm not sure it'll support all formats available in Windows.

Personally I think it's wasted time to convince someone so attached to specific Windows tools to move to Ubuntu (especially if you have to convince that person to even try).

craig10x
August 24th, 2013, 06:03 PM
You are probably right...i was curious though as i only use ubuntu and not windows anymore and was wondering if there would be good programs for these things in case i'd want to do it myself...
Appreciate it guys....and if anyone else has any suggestions, would be happy to hear them too...

FakeOutdoorsman
August 24th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Another program that is sometimes necessary for audio demuxing is Pazera Audio Extractor.

This uses (old) ffmpeg, but he probably does not want to stop using a GUI.