PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] super slow

roofdog
August 24th, 2013, 12:24 AM
I found this old compaq presario amd semprom with win xp installed in a thrift store. It had 256 mg ram in which I found a 500mg to add to it. Win xp loaded fine, but I want Ubuntu. I have loaded Ubuntu 13.04 more than 3 times with the same results, once you click on anything it takes minutes to come up. What can I do to correct this? I am using a usb mouse but I am going to try the old pst mouse but I dont think it will make any difference because theres something else causing this problem in my 1 track mind. I was thinking 750 mg of ram would do ok, but I might be wrong. This is going to be an off-line machine if I can get it to work. Thanks in advance!!

ibjsb4
August 24th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Maybe it would run ok on a gig of ram. For the moment you should run Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

roofdog
August 25th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks! I burned Xubuntu and it worked fine! Now I have to try Lubuntu. I'm looking for the best spreadsheet. Can I download libra office, or will it work with Xubuntu or Lubuntu?

ibjsb4
August 25th, 2013, 05:06 PM
LibreOffice will work with both lu and xubuntu. You can find it in the software center. The question will be how fast it will run on your system.

roofdog
August 25th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks Again! Just installed Lubuntu and downloading upgrades right now. The spreadsheet that is included might work ok, but what I'm concerened with is moving workbooks from machine to machine and windows machines. LibraOffice from my laptop does that just fine but I will try and see if the included spreadsheet will work. Now I'm downloading Kubuntu, it looks real good.

SeijiSensei
August 25th, 2013, 08:00 PM
If vanilla Ubuntu runs poorly on your machine, Kubuntu will too. You should stick to the L/X variants which are less resource-intensive.

ajgreeny
August 25th, 2013, 11:18 PM
There can be a few difficulties moving LO spreadsheets to gnumeric, the application in lubuntu and Xubuntu, but generally they are very minor now, so you may not have too many problems.