PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] GDebi recommends installing from the software channel instead

Buntu Bunny
August 23rd, 2013, 09:59 PM
I'm working on a project in Scribus 1.4 and have had some issues. In researching for solutions, I learned that version 1.5 has what I need. This version is still in development (new territory for me). I downloaded it from Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/~scribus/+archive/ppa) and am trying to install it with GDebi. GDebi tells me

Same version is available in a software channel
You are recommended to install the software from the channel instead.

Could someone please explain to me what this means and where to find said channel?

ajgreeny
August 23rd, 2013, 10:14 PM
It is saying that the software channel (ie, the software-centre) is the recommended way to install a package.

For some reason you seem to not have the most up-to-date version available through the normal repos. Perhaps you have not run an update of them for some while?

Buntu Bunny
August 23rd, 2013, 10:22 PM
It is saying that the software channel (ie, the software-centre) is the recommended way to install a package.

For some reason you seem to not have the most up-to-date version available through the normal repos. Perhaps you have not run an update of them for some while?

Thank you ajgreeny. You set me on the right path. I didn't find version 1.5 in Software Centre, but I did find it in Synaptic!

Dennis N
August 23rd, 2013, 10:23 PM
I'm working on a project in Scribus 1.4 and have had some issues. In researching for solutions, I learned that version 1.5 has what I need. This version is still in development (new territory for me). I downloaded it from Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/~scribus/+archive/ppa) and am trying to install it with GDebi. GDebi tells me

Could someone please explain to me what this means and where to find said channel?

If you added that particular ppa to your software sources (software channels) with add-apt-repository, and then updated the sources list with apt-get update, the 1.50 version would become available for installation through the regular package manager.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:scribus/ppa
sudo apt-get update (or if using Synaptic, open it and Reload, and the 1.50 version should appear.)
sudo apt-get install scribus (or install from Synaptic)

Buntu Bunny
August 23rd, 2013, 10:25 PM
If you added that particular ppa to your software sources (software channels) with add-apt-repository, and then updated the sources list with apt-get update, the 1.50 version would become available for installation through the regular package manager.

Dennis N, thank you! That was the explanation I was looking for.

It's downloading now, so we'll see if it does what I hope it will.

Dennis N
August 23rd, 2013, 10:34 PM
Great! I love Scribus and use it quite a bit.

Buntu Bunny
August 23rd, 2013, 11:07 PM
I'm still learning it and find that even 1.4 has been quirky. Still, it's a good option for Linux DTP.