PDA

View Full Version : Gnome 3 looking older than I remember

mishaparem
August 22nd, 2013, 05:37 PM
I remember having Gnome 3 on a different Ubuntu machine, and it had a hot corner, an overview, a dash, etc... I just installed Gnome3 on a VM, and it looks like the older version. None of the shortcuts to the overview (Alt+F1, hot corner, windows key) bring up overview, I can't find the dash, and the entire theme looks squared out (as opposed to the rounded corners I remember) Has Gnome3 changed or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Moar Info:

VM : Oracle Virtual Box with Guest Extensions (by Canonical/Ubuntu) installed.
Ubuntu: v12.04 LTS
Comp: Dell Precision M 4700
Host: Win 7

SweetAurora
August 22nd, 2013, 05:41 PM
I believe it's simply a graphics issue.. Gnome couldn't initialize the graphics in the VM and defaulted to Fallback Mode. Does the VM you use have good 3D support? Gnome Shell has to have 3D to work.

mishaparem
August 22nd, 2013, 05:45 PM
Oracle VirtualBox with Guest Extensions (courtesy of Ubuntu, or rather Canonical) installed. Now that you mention it, I remember having to wrangle the graphics before I got all the Gnome 3 features working on my older Ubuntu machine. I would think that the guest extensions would handle the graphics issues though, same type of comp that I had before, so if it worked there, should work here right? Running VM on a Windows (bleh) platform.

mishaparem
August 22nd, 2013, 06:44 PM
[solved]

silly me.

Machine > Settings > Display > Enable3D

ibjsb4
August 22nd, 2013, 11:14 PM
To mark thread solved :)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads