PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Firefox Deskcut Add-on

angel mike
August 21st, 2013, 09:31 AM
I am trying to put shortcut icons onto the desktop to favourite web pages such as BBC News.

I have downloaded the Firefox Deskcut add-on and can see the option in the menu when I do a right click on the touchpad but nothing appears.

I believe you have to activate the path but cannot get the precise instructions for doing this.

Using Ubuntu 12.04 LTE

Thanks

howefield
August 21st, 2013, 09:39 AM
Don't use the addon you mention, but you could add the link to your Bookmark bar, then drag it onto the desktop.

Right clicking on the new desktop icon will let you rename and change the icon to something more appropriate if desired.

angel mike
August 22nd, 2013, 07:40 AM
Thanks howefield - how do I put the web link URL into the sidebar list ?
Regards Mike

howefield
August 22nd, 2013, 09:31 AM
Thanks howefield - how do I put the web link URL into the sidebar list ?
Regards Mike

The sidebar as in the Bookmark bar ?

Go to the page that you want bookmarking, then press the "star" symbol in the address bar, the bookmark will then appear near the bottom of the bookmark bar within the Unsorted Bookmarks link. Drag from there to the Desktop.

Then right click the shortcut, select properties, rename and change the icon to tidy it up a bit.

cmcanulty
August 22nd, 2013, 02:21 PM
same problem solved by doing this- go to tools -addons in firefox. then in deskcut preferences under set path type "/home/cmcanulty/Desktop" without quotes and then set radio button to "set path" then click on find. Started recently for me and this fixed it.

angel mike
August 22nd, 2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks for both replies - have tried both but cannot see relevant paths mentioned.
I am using Firefox 22

Going to Tools and clicking on Add-ons I get the Add-on Manager. I see nothing of deskcut preferences or set path type.

If I click on the star in the address bar the bookmark bar does not appear only a window saying Edit this Bookmark with folder options.
Where is the bookmark bar ? I see bookmark in the toolbar at the top on the desktop window.

Sorry to be coming back again but new to Linux Ubantu 12.04

Regards
Mike

howefield
August 22nd, 2013, 11:08 PM
Where is the bookmark bar ?

Try pressing the key combination Ctrl + B, this keyboard shortcut toggles the Bookmark sidebar.

angel mike
August 23rd, 2013, 07:58 AM
Crtl+B gives a small window : Edit Bookmark - what do I do with this.

I read a post that said Nautilus was required to be able to Drag/Drop which has been disabled in Ubuntu 12.04. I tried putting in the commond given but does not seem to have any effect.
Thanks Mike

angel mike
August 23rd, 2013, 11:22 AM
Just discovered how to get the Bookmark Toolbar in Firefox so will settle for this instead of Icons on the desktop.#
Thanks for all your help.
Will mark as Solved
Regards
Mike

cmcanulty
August 23rd, 2013, 05:13 PM
you have to click on add ons to get the addons manager then the deskcut shows preferences sorry I wasn't clear on that