PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Read Error before first boot after installing ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Vixx_Daru
August 20th, 2013, 07:34 PM
I am not new to Ubuntu, though I am not an expert either. I am a casual Ubuntu user, learning few things whenever a problem arises. I have been using Ubuntu for 5 years and I am a regular visitor at UbuntuForums and I am very grateful to all the answers I found here all these years. I never found it necessary to start a new thread here as all my problems got solved in other already available threads. I found the solutions for each and every problem I got in the phase of upgrading my Ubuntu from 9.10 to 13.04 and back to 12.04. I am very grateful for such a great help from U. Thanks a lot.

But, I have come up with a strange problem recently with my Ubuntu installation. I have been trying to solve it for 3 days continuous, but not able to solve it. So, I am posting this new thread with my specific problem. I don't know whether anyone else gone through this problem before. Please help me....

I am using a HP laptop with....

Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
Ubuntu 12.04 as my base OS.
320gb HDD
disk partitions :

root (i.e., /)
home (i.e., /home)
swap area

I was using Ubuntu 12.04 for a while and everything was working fine. One evening when I started my system, there was boot time error:
error: hd0 out of disk

As I was having a separate partition for my root (/) and being sure there won't be any data loss, the very first thought I got was to do a fresh install, so I put a live USB and installed Ubuntu 12.04. I came up with the same error again. Then I started doing my research on different ubuntu forums including this one trying every solution suggested.
After doing a few more re-installations, I came up with different errors:

once:
error: hd0 out of disk
grub rescue>

some other time:
error: you need to load a kernel first

some other time:
grub>

some other time:
GRUB MENU
showing the choices, if I select the latest kernel (which is the only one, as it is the fresh install), it shows a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

The solutions I tried:

lot of reinstallations in the thought that there might be some problem at the time of installation
Boot-Repair from a live USB with no errors
GRUB purge and re-install from a live CD with no errors

At last, my system is showing only one error:
Read Error

The very first thing I was not able to understand from the help posts is the reason why those errors are arising..
what is the meaning of hd0 our out of disk?
what is the meaning of Read Error?
what is the meaning of getting a error like you need to load a kernel first on the first boot after a fresh install?

I tried all the solutions that I found useful and those I understood. But all went in vain. I am still suffering from this problem of not able to boot.
Please suggest me what to do. I'll be grateful to you for the solution of my problem. Thanks in advance.