PDA

View Full Version : Linux sightings thread

montag dp
August 19th, 2013, 05:08 AM
I recently adopted a dog from a no-kill shelter (Atlanta Pet Rescue & Adoption if anyone is interested). I had been looking at dogs there for a few weeks, and last week I noticed they are running Linux on the computer at the front desk! Every time I've seen it they've just had Firefox open fullscreen to their web page, but it was quite clear they were running Gnome Shell with "Activities" and the Firefox icon on the top bar. That only made me more happy to adopt for them. It especially makes sense for a non-profit organization that I'm sure doesn't want to waste money on a Windows or Mac machine.

This also reminds me, several months ago I was riding the subway in Atlanta and I noticed on one of the really old monitors in the car I was riding it said GNU Grub Version (probably some really old version). I can't remember what is normally displayed on those monitors, but that one seemed to have not booted properly and the Grub readout caught my attention.

So has anyone else noticed Linux desktops (or other platforms) in unexpected places?

sandyd
August 19th, 2013, 05:58 AM
I recently adopted a dog from a no-kill shelter (Atlanta Pet Rescue & Adoption if anyone is interested). I had been looking at dogs there for a few weeks, and last week I noticed they are running Linux on the computer at the front desk! Every time I've seen it they've just had Firefox open fullscreen to their web page, but it was quite clear they were running Gnome Shell with "Activities" and the Firefox icon on the top bar. That only made me more happy to adopt for them. It especially makes sense for a non-profit organization that I'm sure doesn't want to waste money on a Windows or Mac machine.

This also reminds me, several months ago I was riding the subway in Atlanta and I noticed on one of the really old monitors in the car I was riding it said GNU Grub Version (probably some really old version). I can't remember what is normally displayed on those monitors, but that one seemed to have not booted properly and the Grub readout caught my attention.

So has anyone else noticed Linux desktops (or other platforms) in unexpected places?

Some of the digital menus in front of resturants in my area run Ubuntu

Erik1984
August 19th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Nice story.

Sadly I don't often see Linux in the real world. But lately I was in a local library and they were using Debian Squeeze on information TV-screens (normally not visible as they display a slideshow).

Paulgirardin
August 19th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I have caught a glimpse of what looks like Ubuntu on a TV3 New Zealand news reporter's desktop.
Also a news item on a handheld laser scanner that creates millimeter accurate 3D images of the interior of buildings, showed the scanner kit used a Acer Aspire One with Ubuntu to manipulate the images.

mamamia88
August 20th, 2013, 05:42 AM
My local library actually runs a ubuntu variant called groovix. I've had someone recognize ubuntu when i was using it a bar and saying they use it at home which was pretty cool too.

greatsirkain
August 27th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Pretty sure Dexter uses it..

cortman
August 27th, 2013, 02:53 PM
The local Lowe's in my area runs what appears to be Red Hat on its computers.

chrisbarnes1992
August 30th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I saw a local Computer Shop selling 3x Dell Optiplex's with what looked liked Pear Linux / Other Linux distro with Gnome 3 themed like a Mac on them.

cactus john
August 30th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Thai Airways International's onboard entertainment systems.
Had a pic of it, but cannot find it now.

3rdalbum
August 31st, 2013, 08:12 AM
The free internet terminals at Perth Airport are running Ubuntu 8.04. Ahh... I still love that old Human theme.

Erik1984
August 31st, 2013, 01:04 PM
The free internet terminals at Perth Airport are running Ubuntu 8.04. Ahh... I still love that old Human theme.

Nice, I would love to see old Ubuntu somewhere in the wild.

Your sighting reminds me of one of my own a while ago. In Budapest, Hungary a hotel had a desk with a couple of Ubuntu computers in the lobby (for the guests to use). 12.04 with Unity in the default configuration.

monkeybrain20122
October 25th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Saw the other day in a computer store two monitors on display (they were promoting the monitors), one was Windows 8 of course, but the other one was Ubuntu 13.04. :)

I have seen many people using Ubuntu in my local coffee shop. The other day there were actually 4 of us in one afternoon. There was another guy using some kind of Linux, but not Ubuntu.

sandyd
October 25th, 2013, 04:42 AM
If you live in the GTA (Toronto, Canada), and go on the subway (TTC), the Pattison OneStop signs in the subway use Fedora

Maverick Meerkat
October 26th, 2013, 06:05 AM
I was shocked to see several monitors with the Unity launcher and the default wallpaper... at MY WORK!
Seems they run Ubuntu in a virtual machine, on Windows PC's, so they can program some equipment that is being tested.
I stopped in my tracks when I saw them.

Now if they would just switch everything over to Ubuntu.... :-)

Rick

help_me2
October 26th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I work for a major grocery chain in the US, and they use an older version of Debian on all of the computers in the upstairs office.

mastablasta
October 29th, 2013, 02:19 PM
flew with KLM on long distance flight last year. anyway onboard entertainment system crashed and needed a reboot. so i saw the penguing and linux kernel being loaded. still a crappy and underpowered entertainment system :-(

maybe i should fly first class next time, but i could barely afford to get economy ticket.... :-D

sideaway
October 31st, 2013, 02:47 AM
Borrowed someones laptop in a coffee shop here in Christchurch, NZ. It was running Ubuntu 13.04.

My University has labs of Fedora machines.

Just replaced a whole heap of old XP licensed machines at work with Ubuntu 12.04.

The terminals in a retail store here a few years back I noticed (think is was Sussan) used an old version of Debian.

I still get a kick out of seeing a linux machine in the wild :)

echotech2
October 31st, 2013, 10:52 AM
I was sitting in front of my computer, I looked up and there was Ubuntu. Looks like v 13.10.

philinux
November 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM
http://www.techdrivein.com/2013/11/ubuntu-spotted-self-synchronizing-quadcopters-coding-motion.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+techdrivein+%28Tech+Drive-in%29

http://iloveubuntu.net/ubuntu-wild-quadrotor-based-swarm-movie-uses-ubuntu

Fantastic.

Linuxratty
November 11th, 2013, 05:08 PM
The local Lowe's in my area runs what appears to be Red Hat on its computers.

Lowes here is also running some version of Linux.
I REALLY enjoyed The Swarm vid and passed the info on over at LI.

3rdalbum
November 14th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Literally on top of Perth Underground train station there is a TAB (betting shop). In the front window there is a big TV screen showing ads for the TAB. One day I glanced up at it and there was an error message in a window on the screen. I could tell it was some sort of *nix because the window was rendered in GTK Clearlooks with Tango icons.

ads2996
November 15th, 2013, 12:46 AM
While I was in Belgium I seen a computer repair company's van, with the under its logo saying "powered by linux"

monkeybrain20122
April 2nd, 2014, 02:56 AM
Went to a local bar last night. They had a public computer on a table for customers. It was running gnome-shell. First I thought it was Fedora from its look, it turned out to be Ubuntu 12.04.

jbaerboc
April 15th, 2014, 05:12 AM
My local Valvoline Oil Change shop runs Ubuntu. Not sure which version though. I keep telling them to install some games for their employees :D