PDA

View Full Version : Getting math functions to work in C

seriouslylinux
August 19th, 2013, 12:23 AM
I am using GCC on Ubuntu 12.10. I am trying to use math functions; specifically sqrt(). When I use a line of code that has a constant in it "sqrt(4)" the function compiles and gives me the right answer in the terminal. When I use a variable "sqrt(number)" the compiler returns with "undefined reference to `sqrt'". I believe I need to use the linker to a math library since I encountered this same problem with Netbeans. I do not know and am not able to find the name of the library or file that would solve this problem. I have tried "-std=iso9899:1990" since that std requires only <math.h> and I still get the same error message. Here is the snippet of code from the program:
double number;

printf ("Enter a number: ");
scanf("%lf", &number);
printf ("The sqrt of 4 is: %lf\n", sqrt(4));
printf ("The sqrt of your number is: %lf\n", sqrt(number));

steeldriver
August 19th, 2013, 01:12 AM
The library is libm, it may be specified on the gcc command line as -lm e.g.

gcc -o yourprog yourprog.c -lm

spjackson
August 19th, 2013, 10:18 AM
I believe I need to use the linker to a math library since I encountered this same problem with Netbeans. I do not know and am not able to find the name of the library or file that would solve this problem.
steeldriver has given the right answer, but I wonder, did you try "man sqrt"? In the synopsis, it says "Link with -lm."

seriouslylinux
August 28th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Thank you for the info and the replies. The math functions are working.