PDA

View Full Version : Any other old car geeks out here?

kansasnoob
August 16th, 2013, 10:30 PM
I was a mechanic clear back in the 60's when things were both classy and stupid :^)

In the past few days I got in an argument with some younger gear-heads about alignment technology.

I know that many of the big shops back in the 60's and 70's had "drive-across" machines that supposedly measured toe-in as you were driving into the shop.

Of course they were actually crap, but I need to find a picture of one to prove my point. Can anyone help me?

QIII
August 16th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Are you talking about the ones that had two rollers, and supposedly toe-in pushed them further apart and toe-out pushed them together?

coldraven
August 17th, 2013, 12:06 AM
I've never heard of one of those. We just used to drive fast around the block and when the tyres stopped squealing it was adjusted right :)
There was a make of car that had a screw-in grease cap under the king-pin. When you took the car for it's annual road worthy test you parked just around the corner, put a penny in the cap and screwed it up tight. When they checked for play on the wheel it would pass the test. Those where the days :)

tgalati4
August 17th, 2013, 02:30 AM
A penny went much farther in those days.

coldraven
August 17th, 2013, 01:43 PM
A penny went much farther in those days.
LOL
You're telling me!