PDA

View Full Version : Dual-boot system stopped booting to both SO

pauloborges
August 16th, 2013, 02:39 PM
I have a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 12.10 (or 04, can't remember right now) and Windows 8 working perfectly for almost 6 months.

But yesterday the laptop was in Windows 8 and I put it to sleep/hibernate (by closing the lid) and hours later I've opened it. Strangely, a couple error messages showed up but honestly I ignored them because at that time I thought they were not important.

Anyway, Windows was asking to be restarted in order to complete the installing updates. So I did.

Then the computer booted in grub rescue:

error: file `/boot/grub/x86-64-efi/normal.mod’ not found
grub rescue> ls
(hd0) (hd0, gpt9) (hd0, gpt8) (hd0, gpt7) (hd0, gpt6) (hd0, gpt5) (hd0, gpt4) (hd0, gpt3) (hd0, gpt2) (hd0, gpt1) (hd1) (hd1,gpt1) (cd0)

Then I used a livecd to try to recover the grub. First of all, I've generated a boot-info summary: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5992517/.

Then I've tried to do the recommended boot-repair:

GPT detected. Please create a BIOS-Boot partition (>1MB, unformatted filesystem, bios_grub flag). This can be performed via tools such as Gparted. Then try again. Alternatively, you can retry after activating the [Separate /boot/efi partition:] option.

I don't know how to make such partition, then I've tried first to activate the reffered option (in sda1). The boot-repair has been completed with the following boot-info summary: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5992562/.

But now when I restart the machine:

[...]
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-E61: Exiting PXE ROM.
No boot device found. Press any key to reboot the machine

How can I fix this?

slw210
August 16th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Usually
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable means a bad/loose cable or failed hard drive. Might be something in the BIOS, you might check all the settings.

pauloborges
August 16th, 2013, 11:12 PM
I did the DELL ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment and apparently there is no problem with any piece of hardware, including hard drive.