PDA

View Full Version : What's the biggest ( baddest ) supported Nvidia card that i can get..??

jason.b.c
July 16th, 2006, 08:19 AM
I found a preaty good list of what i guess to be all of the linux supported Nvidia cards on the market but none of them seem to have much better than a 256 mb's frame buffer. :confused:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8762/README/appendix-a.html

What about the big honkin' one's..??? Big megahertz, big mb's buffers , and so on...

:D :D

jason.b.c
July 16th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Anyone know this..?? :-k

K.Mandla
July 16th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I used Breezy and Dapper on a Dell XPS M170 with a 7800GTX and everything worked like a charm. But beyond that, I can't help. :rolleyes:

angkor
July 16th, 2006, 08:23 PM
What about the big honkin' one's..??? Big megahertz, big mb's buffers , and so on...
:D :D

Hrm I always thought all nvidia cards were supported. I found this list for supported card for their latest linux drivers. My guess (I'm no expert at all!) that the 7900GTX is the best one on the list.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html

The only card I found on their site that is not on the list is the GeForce 7950GX2 and that is just a crazy card if you ask me. :):)

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7950.html

jason.b.c
July 16th, 2006, 09:26 PM
The only card I found on their site that is not on the list is the GeForce 7950GX2 and that is just a crazy card if you ask me. :):)

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7950.html

Wholy crap..!!! Is that one by any chance supported in ubuntu..??? Wow.! , I could just imagine...:mrgreen:

WildTangent
July 16th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I have a Geforce 7950 GX2 arriving in about a week. It is supported (shows up as two 7900GTXs). Cost me $550 CAD, which is actually less than what I originally paid for my 7800 GTX. Go figure.

-Wild

mech7
July 16th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Why would you want a card like that on ubuntu ? you can hardly use it :-k These are gaming cards

WildTangent
July 16th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Why would you want a card like that on ubuntu ? you can hardly use it :-k These are gaming cards

I dualboot, and play many games.

-Wild

Johnsie
July 17th, 2006, 12:53 AM
It would be sad if Windows supported it and Linux didn't

jason.b.c
July 17th, 2006, 01:36 PM
It would be sad if Windows supported it and Linux didn't

I thought the same thing.. That thing is awesome..:)

I have a Geforce 7950 GX2 arriving in about a week. It is supported (shows up as two 7900GTXs). Cost me $550 CAD, which is actually less than what I originally paid for my 7800 GTX. Go figure. :D :-k
I dualboot, and play many games.

Thats exactly what i would do.. I personally wouldn't really worry too much about if that card worked extremely well or not in ubuntu .! , Just so long as it worked and i could actually still boot-up into and use ubuntu..! I can alway's boot into windows to play my games like WildTangent said...:D

forrestcupp
July 17th, 2006, 04:36 PM

:D :-k

Thats exactly what i would do.. I personally wouldn't really worry too much about if that card worked extremely well or not in ubuntu .! , Just so long as it worked and i could actually still boot-up into and use ubuntu..! I can alway's boot into windows to play my games like WildTangent said...:D

If you don't care how powerful it is in Ubuntu, I think you should be able to get general svga support from about any video card, can't you?

WildTangent
July 17th, 2006, 04:40 PM
If you don't care how powerful it is in Ubuntu, I think you should be able to get general svga support from about any video card, can't you?

I like to play Quake 4, Doom 3 and Enemy Territory in Linux though :) I get better FPS.

-Wild

angkor
July 17th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Thinks so? Then buy two of these monsters and line em up for your new Quad SLI system!! :-D :-D

http://www.nvidia.com/page/7950_faq.html

I'll bet you'd be able to play all available games in high settings for at least the coming year ;)

jason.b.c
July 17th, 2006, 06:18 PM

No i don't care how powerfull it is in ubuntu. , Just so long as that i can have a card like that in my computer and still be able to ( dual boot ) boot-up into ubuntu without problems..Of course it'll work in windows just fine ..so..i'm not worried about that..:mrgreen:

WildTangent
July 17th, 2006, 06:27 PM
No i don't care how powerfull it is in ubuntu. , Just so long as that i can have a card like that in my computer and still be able to ( dual boot ) boot-up into ubuntu without problems..Of course it'll work in windows just fine ..so..i'm not worried about that..:mrgreen:

Well, I'll let you know how my 7950 GX2 works out then :) Seeing as it isn't *officially* supported, I am running a risk here. But it is one I'm willing to take because Nvidia typically releases new drivers every couple months. At the very least, it should work with the mesa driver.

-Wild

Teroedni
July 17th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Well, I'll let you know how my 7950 GX2 works out then :) Seeing as it isn't *officially* supported, I am running a risk here. But it is one I'm willing to take because Nvidia typically releases new drivers every couple months. At the very least, it should work with the mesa driver.

-Wild

well you will for sure have a power machine when that comes;), so what are you gonna play on this overkill graphic card?

jason.b.c
July 17th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Well, I'll let you know how my 7950 GX2 works out then :) Seeing as it isn't *officially* supported, I am running a risk here.

-Wild

What.?? I thought it was supported..?

It is supported (shows up as two 7900GTXs). Cost me $550 CAD, which is actually less than what I originally paid for my 7800 GTX. Go figure.

See. So does/would it show up as two 7900 GTX cards..??

WildTangent
July 17th, 2006, 08:37 PM
What.?? I thought it was supported..?

See. So does/would it show up as two 7900 GTX cards..??

That's what I am told it will do, but nevertheless, it isn't on Nvidia's list, so there is a chance it won't work with their drivers. But logic tells me it won't be a problem because it is basically two 7900 GTXs bolted together and sharing a single PCI-E x16 slot.

-Wild

angkor
July 17th, 2006, 09:35 PM
But logic tells me it won't be a problem because it is basically two 7900 GTXs bolted together and sharing a single PCI-E x16 slot.

-Wild

I think you're right.

The fact that it is not on the list is probably because they released the card quite recently. Maybe the drivers will not support some exotic capabilities of the card yet but my guess is that it'll work beautifully on ubuntu / linux.

WildTangent
July 17th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I think you're right.

The fact that it is not on the list is probably because they released the card quite recently. Maybe the drivers will not support some exotic capabilities of the card yet but my guess is that it'll work beautifully on ubuntu / linux.

Exactly. If SLI isn't supported yet, so what? I can wait. I plan to do most of my gaming in Windows anyway. As long as I at least get 2D at 1600x1200 in Ubuntu, I'll be happy as a clam in high tide :)

-Wild

angkor
July 18th, 2006, 12:43 AM
I'll be happy as a clam in high tide :)

I bet you will be. :-D

Let us know when you are.

Compucore
July 18th, 2006, 01:28 AM
What about 3d-labs video cards? I have always heard about them. Never really used them either since they are too expensive and some of them are really huge on memory close to like 640 megs of ram for a video card alone. Here is one of their video cards to see. http://www.3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=293 I mean It looks great. but I have not seen a game or a program that would require something like this unless your really into heavy duty rendering of some sort graphics wise

Compucore

WildTangent
July 18th, 2006, 03:02 AM
What about 3d-labs video cards? I have always heard about them. Never really used them either since they are too expensive and some of them are really huge on memory close to like 640 megs of ram for a video card alone. Here is one of their video cards to see. http://www.3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=293 I mean It looks great. but I have not seen a game or a program that would require something like this unless your really into heavy duty rendering of some sort graphics wise

Compucore

My new card that will be arriving in a week (hopefully) has a total of 1GB of memory. 512MB per core. At the very least I won't have to upgrade for a while...maybe a year if I'm lucky, lol :D

-Wild

briancurtin
July 18th, 2006, 03:55 AM
huh?

mips
July 18th, 2006, 09:10 AM

Compucore

The issue is drivers, the card is no good without proper drivers. This card is used in some HP & IBM workstations and their is support for it under Red Hat® Linux Enterprise Edition (ver 3.0 or later). How good those drivers are I don't know.
http://www.3dlabs.com/support/drivers/product.asp?bypass=1&category=1&os=21&driverlang=&prod=293&drivertype=1

tappad
August 15th, 2006, 12:05 AM
My Geforce 7950 GX2 shows up as an "Geforce 7950 GX2" however, i dont think it makes use of the dual-gpus as only 512mb ram is shown in nvidia-settings.

Engnome
August 15th, 2006, 01:43 AM
hmmm wonder what the best Nvidia Geforce Go (the mobile kind) card u can get, or are they all supported?

ps @tappad din länk i din sig funkar inte?

WildTangent
August 15th, 2006, 01:54 AM
My Geforce 7950 GX2 shows up as an "Geforce 7950 GX2" however, i dont think it makes use of the dual-gpus as only 512mb ram is shown in nvidia-settings.

Same here. Can't get SLI to work, but then, I wasn't counting on it anyway. I do my gaming in Windows anyway, so doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me. Maybe SLI will work in the next driver release.

-Wild

jason.b.c
August 15th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Same here. Can't get SLI to work, but then, I wasn't counting on it anyway. I do my gaming in Windows anyway, so doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me. Maybe SLI will work in the next driver release.

-Wild

Yea so.? , Did you get that game card yet..???

tappad
August 15th, 2006, 01:14 PM

-Wild

Same here, doesnt really matter cus gaming in linux arent that great :)

however i do have 2 cards here:

/proc/driver/nvidia/cards

ps @Engnome: Nä, tyvärr inte.. Min server är nere för tillfället då jag håller på att sätta upp min nya dator.. Som råkar vara lite roligare att leka med =)

tappad
August 15th, 2006, 01:53 PM
BTW, if you really want the biggest (baddest) nvidia card id go with a Quadro card ;) The worst one costs around $4000-$6000 i think..

Engnome
August 15th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Same here, doesnt really matter cus gaming in linux arent that great :)

But we have XGL+ compiz :)

Quadro is not a normal consumer product, it's for proffesionals using cad. I also think I remember hearing the quadros have lousy linux support.

tappad
August 15th, 2006, 03:02 PM
But we have XGL+ compiz :)

Quadro is not a normal consumer product, it's for proffesionals using cad. I also think I remember hearing the quadros have lousy linux support.

Don't know about support, however in a typical "workstation" quadro cards arent that uncommon. And ive heard that some people use computers proffesionaly :)

As for XGL+ compiz, havent tried it out.. But it sure looks cool..