PDA

View Full Version : Which Desktop Environment to use? Gnome2, taskbar on top, simple and fast.

rotation2
August 14th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Could you give me some advice, which Desktop Environment to use?
I like it fast and simple, like Gnome 2.
I like to customize a little bit, some shortcuts in the task bar.
I like the Gnome 2 design, "start button" on the top, task bar on the top.

I used xfce for a long time but then got problems with the "infinite logon problem".
Then I switched to gnome-fallback, but it is not supported anymore.
MATE: I like it, but: the renamed some of the programs, I want to use the Gnome programs.

Do you have some other suggestions for me?

SweetAurora
August 14th, 2013, 08:18 AM
You just named them all. The only other option you could try is Cinnamon. But that is vastly different from what you want, but has the listed features. You have to understand, the world is moving on. If you have a problem with XFCE (Xubuntu) feel free to make a thread and maybe we here can sort out the login problem.

deadflowr
August 14th, 2013, 08:23 AM
When did they drop support for gnome-fallback?
News to me.

SweetAurora
August 14th, 2013, 08:26 AM
When did they drop support for gnome-fallback?
News to me.

Starting in Gnome 3.8, the classic fallback will be removed and will be replaced by a new session that will be a heavily pluged and appleted Gnome Shell so that it looks like the Classic desktop.

rotation2
August 14th, 2013, 10:24 AM
In 3.8 Gnome introduced flashback. Is this under active development? Does it get new features?

Furthermore:
Is there an Ubuntu derivat which comes preinstalled with Gnome flashback?
I know it is easy to install, but the question is: preinstalled.

3rdalbum
August 14th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Why not try Unity? It's simple, fairly fast on decent hardware, and has a pretty good search feature so you can find files really quickly. It has space for you to pin program icons to the side of the screen and quicklists on those icons so you can perform certain tasks quickly.

Unity isn't extremely customizable, but there are some options. You can change themes, transparency, you can install new search lenses and alter fonts, you can choose whether to always see the Launcher or autohide it.

It is also very well optimised for screen space. Even on a 22 inch monitor you appreciate the extra physical space for program windows and the web.

deadflowr
August 14th, 2013, 04:34 PM
In 3.8 Gnome introduced flashback. Is this under active development? Does it get new features?

Furthermore:
Is there an Ubuntu derivat which comes preinstalled with Gnome flashback?
I know it is easy to install, but the question is: preinstalled.

http://ubuntugnome.org/

It's an official release, approved as an Ubuntu flavor.

tgalati4
August 14th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Or try Linux Mint Mate and see if the Gnome2 experience is really what you want.