PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Putting a bash script into Unity bar, execution does not work

linux_dream
August 14th, 2013, 01:57 AM
Hi guys,
I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bits version), I was using Ubuntu 12.04 (32 bits version) but formatted my disk and installed the 64 bits version. So I'm trying to get back all I had.
Some proceedures that used to work don't seem to work anymore.
I need help to put a bash script into Unity bar. I already have the bash script written and it executes fine when I double click on the file and execute it from the terminal.
Here is the proceedure I've followed:
----------------------------------------------------
1)Open a terminal and type

gksudo gedit /usr/share/applications/goban.desktop
So this opens gedit. In this file I type:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=goban
Comment=kgs go server
Exec=sh /home/isaac/Games/goban/goban.sh
Icon=/usr/local/bin/kgs.png
Terminal=true
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
2)Go to /usr/share/applications and move the .desktop file into unity bar.
---------------------------------------------------
This always worked with all kind of bash scripts I have done. (3 for chess programs, 1 for kgs go server and 1 for a simple program I worte myself).
I can see the desktop entry in /usr/share/applications with the icon I chose in /usr/local/bin/, I can even move it into Unity bar. The problem is when I click on the icon in the Unity bar.
For example the above code does nothing. The computer seems to think for a few seconds but nothing appear. It should start a java interface that would let me enter in kgs go server.

The bash script itself is very simple:

#!/bin/bash
java -jar cgoban.jar
and as I said, it executes fine when I double click on it and select "execute from a terminal".

I have other errors for bash scripts of chess engines, they were working 2 days ago prior to the formatting of my disk. But hopefully by fixing this one I'll be able to handle the other errors.
Thanks for any help!

linux_dream
August 21st, 2013, 02:01 AM
Hey guys, I still haven't fixed the problem. Any idea?
It must be that the .desktop file is wrong somehow, despite working in Ubuntu 12.04 (32 bits). I don't know what to modify in order for it to work for Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bits).
Thanks for any help.

Petro Dawg
August 21st, 2013, 02:11 AM
Is your program supposed to open in terminal or in GUI?

linux_dream
August 21st, 2013, 02:35 AM
This one in particular, a GUI. However it also works if I open it in the terminal.

Petro Dawg
August 21st, 2013, 02:45 AM
The reason I asked is because I saw your .desktop file differed from what I typically do for GUI apps.

First I set:
Terminal=false

Yes even for bash scripts which run in terminal before executing the GUI program.

also:
StartupNotify=false

Also I will typically save my .desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications and then just search for my app in the unity dash and drag to my launcher.

Not sure if any of that will make a difference, but it's what I do and it seems to work for me.

linux_dream
August 21st, 2013, 03:00 AM
The reason I asked is because I saw your .desktop file differed from what I typically do for GUI apps.

First I set:
Terminal=false

Yes even for bash scripts which run in terminal before executing the GUI program.

also:
StartupNotify=false

Also I will typically save my .desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications and then just search for my app in the unity dash and drag to my launcher.

Not sure if any of that will make a difference, but it's what I do and it seems to work for me.
Here is what I just tried:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=goban
Comment=kgs go server
Exec=sh /home/isaac/Games/goban/goban.sh
Icon=/usr/local/bin/kgs.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=false
Then I go to /usr/share/applications, I see the "goban" icon and I drag it into Unity bar. Then I click on it (in Unity bar), nothing happens as usual. It looks like the computer thinks for a few seconds but nothing pops up.

stinkeye
August 21st, 2013, 03:15 AM
Instead of execing a script to run a java command try just using the java command as the Exec= ...

Exec=/usr/bin/java -jar cgoban.jar

PS: I usually create custom launchers in ~/.local/share/applications
Don't need root to edit...
Makes them only available to the user who created them and are saved
when you back up your home folder.

You can also copy .desktop files from /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications and customize.

A .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications will override a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications of the same name.

linux_dream
August 21st, 2013, 03:41 AM
Instead of execing a script to run a java command try just using the java command as the Exec= ...

Exec=/usr/bin/java -jar cgoban.jar

I just tried this, it does exactly the same as before. Computer seems to "think" for a bit and then nothing happens.
Thanks so far guys.

linux_dream
August 21st, 2013, 03:48 AM
GUYS I FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!
The problem was in my bash script,
#!/bin/bash
java -jar cgoban.jar doesn't work (althought it used to work for Ubuntu 12.04 32 bits version.)
I had to change it to

#!/bin/bash
java -jar /home/isaac/Games/goban/cgoban.jar
Thanks for all. Problem solved.