PDA

View Full Version : Changing Ubuntu version

windfarm
August 13th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Hi, Ever since upgrading to Ubuntu 11.10, my old PC has run a bit slow. So I didn't do any more upgrades after that. But now support for 11.10 has ended I need to do something. So I was thinking of changing to Lubuntu, but how do I do that?

Can I just install LXDE and if so will that just appear as one of the options in that menu under the cog-wheel icon on the login screen? But I have a feeling that doing that will not really make my installation a supported Lubuntu distribution, so what would I have to do to achieve that in a way that won't delete all my user data?

Many thanks.

Frogs Hair
August 13th, 2013, 06:10 PM
I would suggest backup and clean installation . The 11.04 repository is closed which makes installing LXDE difficult at best. Installing the LXDE would be of little benefit because as you wrote you would have an unsupported Ubuntu 11.04 + LXDE.

You could upgrade to 12.04 install the Lubuntu desktop and remove the other desktop environments and have 12.04 + the Lubuntu desktop.The LXDE package is a bare-bones session.

Another possibility is to create a home partition and do a clean installation of a supported Lubuntu version which can upgraded as Lubuntu. You can't change Ubuntu flavors via upgrade.

windfarm
August 13th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. Think I'll try the 12.04 LTS upgrade + LXDE first to see if it gives any improvement in speed and then consider a clean install of Lubuntu.