PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] unreadable white on white error messages, I think from Openbox

Dreamer Fithp Apprentice
August 11th, 2013, 11:56 PM
In Lubuntu Raring, 32 bit pae, I"m frequently getting windowed error messages in which the message text is white on white and hence unreadable. Changing themes doesn't change this. I tried selecting the text to reverse the colors. Gee that was clever of me. White on white reversed is . . . white on white, so that didn't help either. I also get a similar white on white message when dragging an Lxterminal window around which I suspect is probably saying something about either position or size of the window. I mention the second case primarily because it might have bearing on the first. In and of itself it is unimportant. But I'd really like to know what the error messages are saying.

If you have trouble opening the attached images, I notice a peculiar thing that might reflect on why. They are *.png files but the upload dialogue is calling them jpegs. If they don't open right try downloading them and renaming the as png files.

Any ideas?

Dreamer Fithp Apprentice
August 13th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Oops.
Changing themes doesn't change this.
Wrong. In the words of a famous Kzin "You see me exposed as a fool." A prime example of a hasty conclusion from too limited a sample and a non-random sample at that. I was tempted to edit out the whole post, but, nah, somebody as dumb as I am might make the same mistake and google on to this. I did in fact change themes a few times and was still getting the same problem, but I got to thinking "how can that be?" and decided to try a methodical test. So I did what I should have done to begin with: Did a whole lot of stuff, more or less at random, until the same problem popped up again, and verified I had a procedure that would produce one of these white on white error messages consistently. Then I started going through themes and repeating the procedure under each. It's NOT true that it happens under ALL themes, only under all the ones I like well enough that I would normally consider using them. OK, so now that I know it IS theme dependent I can probably tinker until I find or make some theme I can stand that doesn't do this.