PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Controlling elements of a theme

r_avital
August 11th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Apologies in advance for a few silly questions.

I thought I knew how to control elements of a theme, such as the color of a window's titlebar, of a progress-bar, buttons, etc. It was fairly straightforward to customize a theme in Lucid and earlier, and I've made the jump (separate machine) to 13.04 Gonme3/Unity, those tools are not available anymore, and the new ones are either conflicting with each other or not responsive, or unstable (then again I remember that Raring is still unstable). So I've spent some time at gnome-look.org and I'm beginning to make sense of it, but I'm still not all there.

So my silly questions are:

1. Is it correct that GTK themes control things like window decorations, title-bar colors, button colors, scroll bars, progress bars?

2. If so, what do windows themes control?

3. I've installed packages like gtk2-engines, gtk2-engines-murrine, gtk2-engines-oxygen. Should themes for these engines -- oxygen themes, murrine themes, etc., which are dependent on gtk2, be visible in the theme sections of ubuntu-tweak or gnome-tweak-tools? I expand all the *tar.gz theme downloads to ~.themes, but only the gtk3-compatible ones show up in ubuntu-tweak and gnome-tweak-tool.

4. Is there a way, maybe via some command-line, to list which gtk engines and theme engines are loaded and active? I've specifically searched here for something like this (I found it recently, but did I bookmark it? :( )

5. Finally, is there a way to really customize each and every element such as the above? I'm happy to edit files of any kind to accomplish that, if necessary. Not talking about applications that have their own themes like Thunderbird/Firefox etc.

Tall order, I know...

Thanks in advance :)