PDA

View Full Version : got error while trying to compile vlc2.0.0 using make command

Rahul04789
August 11th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Hi friends,

I installed the vlc2.0.0 source code from the url: http://download.videolan.org/vlc/2.0.0/
While compiling it using make command, I got the following error:

Making all in share
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/rahul/Gstreamer/vlc-2.0.0/share'
LUAC lua/playlist/appletrailers.luac
/usr/local/bin/luac: lua/playlist/appletrailers.lua:70: invalid escape sequence near '\.'
make[2]: *** [lua/playlist/appletrailers.luac] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rahul/Gstreamer/vlc-2.0.0/share'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rahul/Gstreamer/vlc-2.0.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I checked further for lua, which was installed in my system
rahul@rahul-VPCEG28FN:~$ lua -v
Lua 5.2.2 Copyright (C) 1994-2013 Lua.org, PUC-Rio

I even installed liblua5.2-dev package by using "Synaptic Package manager", but was not able to remove my error.

Please someone tell me what shoul I do?

Thanks & Regards

sanderj
August 11th, 2013, 06:14 PM
I would start by using the most recent VLC: http://download.videolan.org/vlc/last/

Rahul04789
August 11th, 2013, 09:02 PM
@sanderj:

I did the same but gor error whulr execution:

rahul@rahul-VPCEG28FN:~$ vlc ABC.webm
VLC media player 2.0.5 Twoflower (revision 2.0.5-0-g1661b7d)
[0x9273908] main libvlc error: No plugins found! Check your VLC installation.

Please tell me how to resolvde it..

sanderj
August 11th, 2013, 09:15 PM
why do you want to compile VLC yourself? Why not install it using "sudo apt-get install vlc"?

nathan-b
August 12th, 2013, 04:31 AM
why do you want to compile VLC yourself? Why not install it using "sudo apt-get install vlc"?

People always answer these type of threads by saying something like this. I think the answer is, "because we can". :cool:

Personally, I've learned a lot about the system by compiling things for some crazy reason and then trying to fix dependency errors or whatnot. Granted, the most important lesson was that the package manager is there for a reason, but it was fun at the time. And there's always the odd package that wasn't compiled with some option that I want. I think on an old Debian or something GtkPod wasn't compiled with mp3 support for licensing reasons so I compiled it myself. It happens.

Bachstelze
August 12th, 2013, 07:29 AM
People always answer these type of threads by saying something like this. I think the answer is, "because we can". :cool:

Well, this OP obviously can't. :)

ofnuts
August 12th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Have you at least got a look at line 70 of lua/playlist/appletrailers.lua?