PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting stats...

lazyd2
July 16th, 2006, 03:07 AM
I was reading an article regarding ipv6 and found these interesting (at least I think they are :) ) stats.

50 billion the number of e-mails dispatched every day wordwide; in 2001 the traffic was less than 12 billion

88 per cent of e-mails are junk including about 1 per cent which are virus-infected

32 The average number of e-mail messages received per person per day. This is rising by 84 per cent each year

440 million the number of electronic mailboxes in use, including 170 million corporate ones, growing by 32 per cent per year

1,035 million the total number of mobile phone text messages sent each month in Britain

37 The average number of texts a user sends per month compared with 21 in 2001 1 million the number of children aged under 10 in Britain — one in three — who own a phone

8 The average age at which a child gets a mobile phone in Britain

You can read the rest of the article here (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2270472,00.html)

Dr. Nick
July 16th, 2006, 04:09 AM
sheesh, The times certainly are changing.

My stats

0 -> 3 the number of emails i send a day

1418 spam messages after 3 weeks

2 e mail boxes

0 texts a day

2o ish and counting on the cell phone

BWF89
July 16th, 2006, 04:14 AM
-I recieve on average 50 junk emails per day, recieve 1-3 legitiment ones, and send 1-3 legitiment ones.

-If I ever started text messaging, hit me with something sturdy. I can't stand guys who think it's so romantic to be constantly sending "I <3 you lol" or "wha cha doin sw337y" to their girlfriends. If you want to talk speak into the mic, that's why Bell & Grey invented the telephone instead of just being happy with the telegraph.

-I'm 16 and still don't have nor want a cellphone. For reasons stated above and because not only would I get pestered with annoying friends that I dont like that want to hang out with me on the homephone but now everywhere I go and with no escape. That's the same reason I don't want my parents to get an answering machine.

RAV TUX
July 16th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I recieve zero junk emails a day.

My wife and I both have text messaging disabled on our cell phones.

henriquemaia
July 16th, 2006, 04:19 AM
http://www.spamgourmet.com/

:)

Dr. Nick
July 16th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Heh, how do you pull off 0 junk emails, a "paid for" email address as opposed to a yahoo,hotmail,... or just good pop3 filters?

Cell phones can be a nuisance, I get so ticked at people alot of times while I am at work and trying to deal with customers who are blabbing about who know what on cell phones.

I wouldnt mind a cell phone, but I wouldnt use it nearly enough to justify the $30ish a month it would cost, might go prepaid route one day though. but will not text every minute like some lol

Dr. Nick
July 16th, 2006, 04:24 AM
spamgournet looks neat, their are a few others like that aswell, I just always forget to make one before giving my email. My over 2000 spam a month is bad considering only 1-2 sites have my email, I tend to think that yahoo is selling addressees or something, that or my 3 newsgroup postings under that email form 4 years ago are really coming back to bite me

RAV TUX
July 16th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Heh, how do you pull off 0 junk emails, a "paid for" email address as opposed to a yahoo,hotmail,... or just good pop3 filters?

Cell phones can be a nuisance, I get so ticked at people alot of times while I am at work and trying to deal with customers who are blabbing about who know what on cell phones.

I wouldnt mind a cell phone, but I wouldnt use it nearly enough to justify the $30ish a month it would cost, might go prepaid route one day though. but will not text every minute like some lol

Yahoo premium email service at jozef@cafeubuntu.com (paid for)the same email service I get included with my verizon account also Yahoo premium service (not free, but included with the cost I pay for verizon DSL).

I checked out the Verizon/Yahoo mail through the Verizon/Yahoo web browser to see what I did special.

and the secret is in my settings:

I have "SpamGuard Plus" on

You have chosen to immediately delete all messages that SpamGuard identifies as spam. This guarantees that your bulk folder will remain empty.
Thus resulting in zero junk mail/spam.

I must note that I have a junk email account set up (free) through rock.com that I use whenever someone or sites ask for my email and I don't want to recieve email from them or whoever they may sell it to.

This may also help.

lazyd2
July 16th, 2006, 04:51 PM
http://www.spamgourmet.com/

:)
Nice...:D

djsroknrol
July 16th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I run 4 different accounts to filter junk and spam to get a zero Junk mail..my personal address reciepients know not to forward to my personal account, and have an address to send jokes, B.S., and the like that attracts that kind of stuff...

G Morgan
July 16th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Yeah splitting your e-mails across addresses definately works as well as having a dump account. I get 0 spam generally, even the dump account is clean and the only spam I got was from a mailing list tbh.

Randomskk
July 16th, 2006, 05:47 PM
I don't get any spam through gmail (they have awesome filters!) but typically get two a day to my main email on my domain (random@(MYUSERNAME).net), plus about 25 a day to the catch-all on that domain, so homeowner@ and marketing@ etc etc, which all goes to spam@.
I also move all the spam I get there, and every week train the bayesian filter on that account.

mips
July 16th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Gmail, have not received one piece of spam to this day and I have been using it since almost day one.

RAV TUX
July 16th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I don't get any spam through gmail (they have awesome filters!) but typically get two a day to my main email on my domain (random@(MYUSERNAME).net), plus about 25 a day to the catch-all on that domain, so homeowner@ and marketing@ etc etc, which all goes to spam@.
I also move all the spam I get there, and every week train the bayesian filter on that account.

My problem with Gmail and MSN is SPAM is built in the email.
I don't care for ads in my email, those adds in Gmail far out weigh any benefits of Gmail, but it is free and you get what you pay for.
Free google ads in Gmail, not much different then SPAM IMO.

My apologies in advance if I offend any Gmail/Google fanboys.

djsroknrol
July 17th, 2006, 12:20 AM
50 billion the number of e-mails dispatched every day wordwide; in 2001 the traffic was less than 12 billion

88 per cent of e-mails are junk including about 1 per cent which are virus-infected

32 The average number of e-mail messages received per person per day. This is rising by 84 per cent each year

440 million the number of electronic mailboxes in use, including 170 million corporate ones, growing by 32 per cent per year

1,035 million the total number of mobile phone text messages sent each month in Britain

37 The average number of texts a user sends per month compared with 21 in 2001 1 million the number of children aged under 10 in Britain — one in three — who own a phone

8 The average age at which a child gets a mobile phone in Britain

I'd be inclined to believe those figures...More likely, more however...

mips
July 17th, 2006, 07:59 AM
My problem with Gmail and MSN is SPAM is built in the email.
I don't care for ads in my email, those adds in Gmail far out weigh any benefits of Gmail, but it is free and you get what you pay for.
Free google ads in Gmail, not much different then SPAM IMO.

My apologies in advance if I offend any Gmail/Google fanboys.

I do not get any adds/spam in my email ??? When I open a mail there is a column on the far right with some links in it though. Is this what you are referring to ? You make it sound as if they embed spam inside the mail ?