http://www.gizmag.com/sol-solar-powered-ubuntu-laptop/28611/

Seems really cool.

sanderj
August 11th, 2013, 11:41 AM
To me it sounds to good to be true.

Paqman
August 11th, 2013, 10:44 PM
To me it sounds to good to be true.

I think it looks kosher. Specs are low, it's essentially a netbook (Intel Atom CPU, no optical drive), and that's a decent sized array of solar panels that unfold. From a bit of a guesstimate of the size and efficiency I'd say you could probably get about 400-500Wh in a 2 hour soak in strong sunlight (1000Wm-1). That could feasibly run a low-powered laptop for as long as 10 hours of light use, even after you take battery round-trip efficiency into account.

Not sure why you'd want to lug all those panels around with you though. It'd almost always be more convenient to just plug into the mains and charge up.

mastablasta
August 12th, 2013, 09:47 AM
. It'd almost always be more convenient to just plug into the mains and charge up.

there are places where electricity is either not available or avilable only an hour or two a day at best. i guess this notebook is ment for people working in such a place.

stevesy
August 12th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Just saw this
http://www.gizmag.com/sol-solar-powered-ubuntu-laptop/28611/

Seems really cool.

That is very cool, sounds like it could help a lot of people out. It really does look rugged doesn't it. Wouldn't like to get a smack over the head with one of those things! : ]

Paqman
August 13th, 2013, 07:07 AM
there are places where electricity is either not available or avilable only an hour or two a day at best. i guess this notebook is ment for people working in such a place.

Sure, but that's a hell of a niche market. If you're roughing it out in the countryside somewhere like that I'd say get a Toughbook and a couple of spare batteries.

Realised I didn't factor cell efficiency into my calcs above BTW, assuming a 0.25m2 array at 20% efficiency you're probably only looking at 100Wh after two hours, even in strong sunlight. So 10 hours does look a bit fanciful. Maybe four or five if you had the screen dimmed right down and weren't doing anything taxing. However, that would mean it should be able to charge while working around noon. Getting a full day of use out of it wouldn't be hard at all.

Still reckon a spare battery would be more robust and less gimmicky.

stevesy
August 13th, 2013, 11:37 AM
This thing is fully submersible http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/08/sol-laptop-publishes-specs

mastablasta
August 14th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Sure, but that's a hell of a niche market. If you're roughing it out in the countryside somewhere like that I'd say get a Toughbook and a couple of spare batteries.

Realised I didn't factor cell efficiency into my calcs above BTW, assuming a 0.25m2 array at 20% efficiency you're probably only looking at 100Wh after two hours, even in strong sunlight. So 10 hours does look a bit fanciful. Maybe four or five if you had the screen dimmed right down and weren't doing anything taxing. However, that would mean it should be able to charge while working around noon. Getting a full day of use out of it wouldn't be hard at all.

Still reckon a spare battery would be more robust and less gimmicky.

IF you are roughing it out. but what if you live in such a place?

as i know this one was made for Ghana or another one of the African countries. i can't remember exactly. but it was one with problematic power supply. there are many regions in the world where there is actually no electricity and people live there. with this kind of mashcine and some eagar teacher they could get some basic computer education. a business man living there could use such a maschine to do business. but i guess they would need someway to go online.

although they all might do better and cheaper with Rpi and some solar cells.

Paqman
August 14th, 2013, 08:09 AM
although they all might do better and cheaper with Rpi and some solar cells.

Exactly. Cheap solar panel off Alibaba, maybe a deep cycle battery and charge controller if you're feeling flush. Run some lighting and a radio off it as well.

If you're in the back of beyond there are things you have more urgent need to use electricity for than computing, like irrigation, lighting and refrigeration. Lolcats are important, but let's get our priorities straight. This laptop is a bit of a gimmick IMO, but I wish them all the best if they can find a market.

Buntu Bunny
August 14th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I like the idea. And there are enough folks who take pride in living off-grid that it will have a market. However, considering the amount of sun I've gotten this summer, I'd be doing very little computing if that was all I had.

MasterNetra
August 14th, 2013, 10:09 PM
You get power off solar panels even on cloudy days, just not as much.