PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Replacing Thunar messed up desktop file operations

SPARTAN-118
August 11th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Hello,

I disliked Thunar's lack of a search function that actually worked with the file manager, so I decided to install Nemo instead. Afterwards I attempted to remove Thunar. Now, Nemo is successfully set as the default file manager according to the Settings Manager, and everything works accordingly: double-clicking on the Home folder on the desktop and any links in the bottom panel open in Nemo.

However, I can no longer perform file operations directly from the desktop. Trying to delete a file using the delete key, I get this message:

The selected files could not be trashed.
This feature requires a file manager service to be present (such as the one supplied by Thunar).

Attempting to delete a file, or do any other operation for that matter, results in this error message:

The selected files could not be trashed.
Failed to execute program /usr/bin/Thunar: Success

This implies that, while Nemo is recognized as the default file manager for all other functions, the desktop shell itself can't understand that Thunar is gone. Do I have to reinstall Thunar, or is there a way to get Nemo to do everything?

Buntu Bunny
August 12th, 2013, 02:56 AM
If you do reinstall Thunar, then this document (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FindingFiles) from the Community Help Wiki will tell you how to get Thunar to find files for you.

Frogs Hair
August 12th, 2013, 04:45 PM
The file manager in XFCE doesn't handle the desktop as Nautilus does in a Gnome based DE . That feature is what allows the user to work with files on the desktop outside of the file manager. I don't fully understand how XFCE + Thunar works around this or whether it is possible to enable the same kind function with Nemo. I would start with the preference settings in Nemo and wait for user who knows more about the Nemo - XFCE combination .

SPARTAN-118
August 13th, 2013, 11:07 PM
If you do reinstall Thunar, then this document (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FindingFiles) from the Community Help Wiki will tell you how to get Thunar to find files for you.

That's not the point. I disliked the awkward combination of Thunar+Catfish (which couldn't even interact with the files it found besides open them). So, I grabbed another file manager which had what I wanted.
Now, I can't even open Steam from the desktop shortcut. Keeps telling me it wants Thunar.

The file manager in XFCE doesn't handle the desktop as Nautilus does in a Gnome based DE . That feature is what allows the user to work with files on the desktop outside of the file manager. I don't fully understand how XFCE + Thunar works around this or whether it is possible to enable the same kind function with Nemo. I would start with the preference settings in Nemo and wait for user who knows more about the Nemo - XFCE combination .

I set Nemo as default system-wide, so I don't understand why this isn't working.

EDIT: Okay, so I reinstalled Thunar, and all desktop operations work normally again. Kind of disappointing that it has to be installed for them to work, but oh well.

Leaving thread open for now in case anybody has any suggestions of fully replacing Thunar with Nemo.