PDA

View Full Version : What in the world has happened to Ubuntu? I'll miss you. :(

herqulees
August 10th, 2013, 11:53 AM
I hate to be the guy putting up a rant but I have just got to express how I feel on this. I promise I'm not aiming to put Ubuntu down, but I am just so disappointed in what has happened to it... I've gotten away from seriously using Ubuntu for a couple years now, I just couldn't get in to having it as my main OS when it was lacking so much support from the real world dominated by Windows and Mac, my uses for it faded and my lack of knowledge on the OS under the hood compared to Windows angered me, so for these couple years all I ever used it for was setting up partitions for Windows installs because gparted and parted don't lie about what they're really doing like the Windows installers do.
But here I am now with my main laptop in need of repairs with a loose power connector and the cooling fan starting to rattle, so as I prepare it to be sent off for warranty I pull out my old netbook and put a fresh install of Windows 7 on it so I have something to use and hold my files while it's gone, and quickly remember why this netbook was sitting in a box, it's slow as h e double hockey sticks and tiny for my big hands haha, and I got to thinking hey Ubuntu has always been so great to me when it came to needing to use ancient computers at reasonable speeds and I want to see what Steam games of mine are supported on Linux now, maybe this netbook is better supported now too. I quickly downloaded Ubuntu 13.04 and shrunk Windows 7 50GB to make room. I got the iso on a 4GB flash drive and booted it up, went to Try Ubuntu and as the desktop loaded the first thing I see after the screen flashes and flickers and changes colors a couple times is a beautiful task bar... filled with bloatware, a bunch of writing and graphic and math software along with some music store and Amazon, so many icons on this task bar that anything I open and actually want to see can't be displayed on it.
I try to think the best and assume it's all here because I clicked Try Ubuntu and you want to demonstrate some of it's more interesting software so I click the menu icon to be presented with a beautiful interface and love it, I type in terminal to open it and set up the partitions with parted to find out Windows didn't truly give me 50GB, it was around 49GB. Wouldn't really matter but I'm OCD with stuff and tell parted to shrink it another GB and it gives me the same old error from like 2008 that this feature is extremely unstable and will be removed on the next release and aborts. At this point I was about to pull the flash drive out and go back to Windows but no I wanted to try this new Ubuntu. I go to Firefox and research for a bit about resizing partitions and try to two finger scroll down the page, and I can't! I research that to find out it's disabled on purpose. WHY? I enable it in settings and it's working fine, close out Firefox, finish up with parted giving up on resizing Windows, quit out of that then open the installer, set it all up, install, and reboot.
So here I am now on my fresh clean install of Ubuntu 13.04 and it's filled to the top with junk, while unlocking things from the task bar I come across Ubuntu Software Center and click on it remembering using it when it first came out and how it was buggy and slow but simple and easy, it's gotta be so much better by now I bet there are so many great programs in here to try after I get all this out, I say. I go to Installed Applications and start clicking Remove on all the games, everything in the internet category, all of the office software, the Amazon and music store programs, all of the accessibility stuff, and plenty of other non-OS related stuff (seriously nothing the system needed) and during this whole thing the hard drive light is rarely flashing yet the screen is flashing every few seconds, the software center goes from normal to deformed and back again and again, other times it dims out saying it's frozen before coming back a few seconds later, the screen goes black for awhile then comes back with a message saying Ubuntu recovered from a serious error, I look back at the software center and in the ten minutes all this went on nothing was uninstalled. I go back, one by one, waiting for each one to finish before clicking the next one, entering my password more times than I can count, have to go back again to get a few pesky apps that didn't go the first two times, screen still flashing and dimming like crazy, and then all is well, after a couple more Ubuntu has just recovered from a serious error messages that is, and I install Chrome, and here I am now.

I am on an Asus 1015pn, this netbook was the most powerful netbook available when I bought it, it has an Intel Atom dual core/quad thread CPU at 1.5GHz, 2GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM, and an nVidia ION GPU with 512MB VRAM, I can reasonably play Fallout 3, New Vegas, Portal, Skyrim, and so on, admittedly with a little stuttering but still playable on this thing. Yet Ubuntu made the speed of Windows 7 on here look like Windows XP on a modern day gaming rig. This used to be a great OS, and now it's bloated and slow, I no longer feel like I'm on a robust and secure streamlined operating system with a great future. The software center is just as terrible as the day it came out, you'd think such a main focus of the OS would get bug fixes and improvements ASAP. Yet the only praise I can give is Ubuntu looks beautiful when not touched and has gotten a much more mature way of handling when it crashes, and my video cards, volume controls, screen brightness controls, sleep/hibernate, WiFi, and many other hardware issues that once existed on this same netbook, are gone.
So it is with this I say goodbye Ubuntu, for now at least.

stinkeye
August 10th, 2013, 12:26 PM
What in the world has happened to posting to find out the cause of the slowness before a rant.
:roll:

mlentink
August 10th, 2013, 12:32 PM
What in the world has happened to posting to find out the cause of the slowness before a rant.
:roll:
+1

OrangeCrate
August 10th, 2013, 12:34 PM
i hate to be the guy putting up a rant...

<snip>

so it is with this i say goodbye ubuntu...

ok

Elfy
August 10th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the opinion.

Closed.