PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install Ubuntu on Asus X53E

t0p
August 9th, 2013, 06:06 PM
My friend owns an Asus X53E, and she wants me to install Ubuntu on it, next to the Windows 7 that's already on it. So, I've got my Ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit) live usb; but in bios the boot priority is hard drive, then CD/DVD drive. I've tried to add usb stick to the boot priority list, but I can't see what I need to do. If I have my (Crucial Gizmo!) stick plugged in then switch the computer on, holding down F2 to access bios settings, I am able to add Crucial Gizmo! to the list of boot devices... but then the bios wants me to type in a path to the stick, which I have no idea how to do (the path will include \s, apparently, so I guess it's a Windows-type path, and I know next to nothing about Windows)... then there's the matter of changing boot priority so usb stick comes before hard drive, and I don't know how to do that either (every computer I've ever owned has come with boot priority usb stick and CD/DVD drive before hard drive, I've never had to change priority, and the bios setting screens are not at all user-friendly (I've never met a user-friendly bios setting screen...).

I can't post screen-shots because it's bios screens on my friend's laptop... if someone could point me in the direction of a walk-through that'd be really cool.

Cheers.

varunendra
August 9th, 2013, 06:17 PM
In my Asus X54C, the hotkey to bring up the "boot device selection" menu is "F8". That menu lists my USB keys (Transcend, Kingston, PNY...) as boot options when inserted before booting the laptop.

t0p
August 16th, 2013, 06:09 PM
In my Asus X54C, the hotkey to bring up the "boot device selection" menu is "F8". That menu lists my USB keys (Transcend, Kingston, PNY...) as boot options when inserted before booting the laptop.

Thanks varunendra, that did the trick. My friend now has a dual-boot, and I'm standing by to provide support if necessary. Just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew...