PDA

View Full Version : GTA - San Andreas resolution problem

Greeface
July 16th, 2006, 01:57 AM
I tried installing GTA from the DVD, but it didn't work so I installed it on a Windows machine and copied it over. When I try to open it with WINE it says that it "Cannot find 800x600x32 video mode." How do I fix this? CS runs fine under WINE, also.

Thanks a bunch

stimpack
July 16th, 2006, 03:18 AM
There is a .set file usually in My Documents save game folder, this is the settings file and can be deleted to fix problems, how this translates to your Wine setup I dont know.

Greeface
July 17th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Okay, i will look for this file and post back. I am now using Cedega, and I still get the same problem

Thanks

Greeface
July 17th, 2006, 01:01 AM
EDIT: Woops, nevermind, what i said before in this post wouldn't work.

Greeface
July 17th, 2006, 05:31 AM
There is a .set file usually in My Documents save game folder, this is the settings file and can be deleted to fix problems, how this translates to your Wine setup I dont know.

Ah, I think you are getting close. I have done some more reasearch, and I think that it's generated once you rn the game. I ran it on my windows machine and changed the settings to 800x600x16 and placed the gta_sa.set file in the my documents folder. Still doesn't work, but it doesn't bring up that error anymore, it just doesnt start.

EDIT: When I try to open it with straight WINE it still says "Cannot find 800x600x32 video mode."
EDIT 2: It does the same as above when I usse the command "cedega gta_sa.exe"

Hmm...

Greeface
July 21st, 2006, 12:18 PM
Alright, I have 3 monitors so my xorg.conf file is tweaked. I replaced the current xorg.conf file with the original for 1 monitor that I had backed up, but it still does the same thing. So I am ruling out TwinView or Xinerama as the problem. Any advice is greatly appreciated! ~Greg

sha
October 16th, 2007, 08:18 AM
EDIT: When I try to open it with straight WINE it still says "Cannot find 800x600x32 video mode."
EDIT 2: It does the same as above when I usse the command "cedega gta_sa.exe"

Hmm...

My solution was running winecfg and setting a virtual wine desktop and "Allow the windows manager to control the windows" on the Graphics tab. Now, it works in windowed mode, but it works... :)

EDIT: No problem with TwinView and 2 cloned monitors.