PDA

View Full Version : After installing Ubuntu 10.10

lykan2
August 9th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Hi! Everyone!!
I'm a new member who eagerly interests in ubuntu and tried it.But guess what ,after installing ubuntu 10.10 using "install alongside window" option and I can't see anything (grub menu or something like that)to choose which OS u r going to boot from .And my files from window 7 are just gone!! I want to cry all my important are jux gone because of my curiosity in Ubuntu.What should I do ? Is there anything I can get my files from window 7 back??please help me!! I will appreciate your support. But I remember one thing happened while I installing Ubuntu 10.10. My computer screen freeze for a long time (if I'm not wrong,it freezed for about 40 mins or so).

P.S - pardon me if my grammar wrong .I 'm not good at English.

TheFu
August 9th, 2013, 01:55 PM
From the description, we can not tell if you've completely wiped the HDD or if you've just got a boot menu mess up.
Follow these instructions to gather more information: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info

BTW, 10.10 has not been supported since around 2011. 12.04 is the release you should be starting with - NOTHING else - until May of 2014, with 14.04 will be available.

slw210
August 9th, 2013, 05:21 PM
On install did you read the part about backing up important files? It is important to learn how to back up important data.

+1 on installing 12.04 LTS or 13.04.

Vormeph
August 9th, 2013, 08:14 PM
If you really just wanted to try out Ubuntu, you should have installed it on a Virtual Machine or simply try out the LIVE CD. It's possible that you might have done something that causes your Windows 7 files to now be wiped out, in which case it's unlikely that they may be retrievable. The best solution now is to write Ubuntu 12.04 or 13.04 to your USB/CD/DVD and enter LIVE mode. If you just have Ubuntu 10.10, then boot into that anyway and diagnose what's happened to your partitions via GParted. If the Windows recovery partition is still intact you may be able to recover your Windows installation - if not, then I'm afraid you'll have to just install Ubuntu completely erasing Windows altogether. If you have a Windows recovery disk, then go ahead and use that.

By the way, you need to really consider getting 13.04, 12.04 at least. What prompted you to get 10.10?

lykan2
August 10th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Thank u!! Guys.. I searched on the internet about that options"install alongside window".They say it'll be okay,it'll just install with window and u can still use window and ubuntu in dual mode.So I thought I don't need to back up my files and didn't worry about that.So I decided to reinstall window 7 and in the step that u r supposed to choose in what partition u want to install and I still got a problem.It kept saying "You can't install window in this partition" something like that. But I made a little check and in that partition ,there's no free space.So I think I have chance to recover my files from window.In what way can I do it?? plz help.

According to Vormeph,I have no internet connection so when I can't install anything from Ubuntu software center.So I downloaded partition manager in .deb format and still can't install it.so is there any chance I can get my files back by using .iso DVD or something.I'm just an end user.I'm no geek.