PDA

View Full Version : Discourse

vasa1
August 9th, 2013, 04:23 AM
Looks like Discourse is getting closer (http://ubuntu-discourse.org/t/should-this-be-discourse-ubuntu-com/646/8)!

I'll finally know what it is to be all about :)

Elfy
August 10th, 2013, 07:31 AM
It'll be somewhere some people go to chat.

It won't be the forum.

This will be the forum.

l3dx
August 15th, 2013, 09:05 PM
And what is askubuntu.com in the middle of this? I have trouble seeing what goes where.

QIII
August 15th, 2013, 09:08 PM
It remains what it is and has been: Question -> Answer.

It does a great job at that.

l3dx
August 15th, 2013, 09:37 PM
It sure does.

The reason I asked is that to me that used to be what ubuntuforums was all about. But I guess it (ubuntuforums) is more discussion oriented.
It's been a while since my last visit, so when I noticed askubuntu, and now also the discourse chat, I started wondering why all this fragmentation was needed.

Erik1984
August 16th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Forums and AskUbuntu serve different types of questions. The forums are better for 'vague' questions where more interaction is required (answers from the person asking the question) to determine the problem and possible solutions. Plus the forums have a social aspect where AskUbuntu is 'strictly business' ;).

haydoni
February 11th, 2014, 11:33 PM
It'll be somewhere some people go to chat.

It won't be the forum.

This will be the forum.

Discourse is not a chat service/room, it is a forum replacement...

Is this still the current status? There doesn't seem to be much information on the relationship between ubuntu discourse and ubuntuforums.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 11th, 2014, 11:44 PM
...There doesn't seem to be much information on the relationship between ubuntu discourse and ubuntuforums.

Why do you expect there to be a ralationship between Ubuntu Discource, UbuntuForums, or Ask Ubuntu?

haydoni
February 12th, 2014, 12:48 AM
Why do you expect there to be a ralationship between Ubuntu Discource, UbuntuForums, or Ask Ubuntu?

Presumably what you're saying here is that there isn't one.

vasa1
February 12th, 2014, 03:09 AM
Discourse is not a chat service/room, it is a forum replacement...When you make a statement, it's nice to make it clear whether you're quoting someone or expressing your opinion.

haydoni
February 12th, 2014, 05:45 AM
When you make a statement, it's nice to make it clear whether you're quoting someone or expressing your opinion.
In your opinion.

Ok, one reference is Discourse's about page (http://www.discourse.org/about/).

To us, forum software is a group of people interested in a common topic who are willing to type paragraphs to each other on a web page.
Yes, there is Twitter for very short form, there is web chat and IRC for real time with limited persistence, there is Tumblr for micro-blogging, and there are blogs for, well, blogging.
But we believe forums are a fundamental building block of web community.

Anyway, I was genuinely interested in what the status was between these two projects.

mastablasta
February 12th, 2014, 08:53 AM
isnt' it supposed to be sort of brainstorming? or is that done exclusively on launchpad?

Elfy
February 12th, 2014, 09:06 AM
isnt' it supposed to be sort of brainstorming?
Nope it's just people 'chatting' - not for support or anything

or is that done exclusively on launchpad?

Not sure there's anywhere left for that kind of thing, though http://www.jonobacon.org/2013/05/16/on-brainstorm/ kind of implies they're looking to re-invent

Elfy
February 12th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Discourse is not a chat service/room, it is a forum replacement...

Is this still the current status? There doesn't seem to be much information on the relationship between ubuntu discourse and ubuntuforums.

IT might be their vision of forum replacement - but it is not a replacement for this one, nor was it ever envisaged to be such.

mikodo
February 12th, 2014, 09:23 AM
The title makes me want to vomit. (http://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/forums-are-dead-long-live-forums/519)

haydoni
February 13th, 2014, 12:25 AM
not for support or anything

So is this the distinction? discourse.ubuntu will not do support questions?

I think I just don't understand the distinction between what you call "chatting" and a forum.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 13th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Why do you expect there to be a relationship between Ubuntu Discourse, UbuntuForums, or Ask Ubuntu?

Presumably what you're saying here is that there isn't one.

There is no committee that is deciding what each of the resources do. Ubuntu Discourse, UbuntuForums, and Ask Ubuntu are independent and seeking their nitche in the Ubuntu community. Their mission statement will evolve as they determine their own relevance.

mastablasta
February 13th, 2014, 09:55 AM
well they made it like a forum now. i don't see any huge difference.

before it looked like it could be used for ideas.

robin7
February 13th, 2014, 11:02 AM
I kinda like having a place just for community chat. Googling "Ubuntu social networks" comes up with mostly links about built-in social networking tools in the operating system, not really a social network for Ubuntu users. It looks like there used to be one hosted on ning.com but it's long gone.

I see Ubuntu Discourse as "the new Ubuntu social network," on an open source platform; forum-ish but less formal and more, well, social. Like this Cafe, in a way, only independent and less "official." Friendly, informal, chatty, fun. It could use some new people though, so come on in the water's fine!

Perhaps a big reason for the low participation there is this confusion about what role Discourse actually plays. I guess that remains to be seen, but in the absence of any "real Ubuntu social network," I hope it stays the chatty, informal, social thing it seems to be right now.

mastablasta
February 13th, 2014, 02:40 PM
ubuntu on google+ for social.

robin7
February 14th, 2014, 01:07 AM
ubuntu on google+ for social.

Oh, okay... so edit my remarks to "social networking for people who don't trust Google or use Facebook, etc

vasa1
February 14th, 2014, 04:04 AM
... It could use some new people though, so come on in the water's fine!
Be careful what you ask for! Activity may not be all healthy. A chat site you seem not to have encountered is here: http://chat.stackexchange.com/transcript/201/ it's being repeatedly visited by trolls, sockpuppets, and wannabe site damagers. It takes a while before the trusting regulars get a handle on what's going on ;)
Yesterday, there was someone there with a nick out of the Merchant of Venice. That person has changed nicks and made new accounts so often that I think he/she is unstoppable!

cariboo
February 15th, 2014, 04:57 AM
Be careful what you ask for! Activity may not be all healthy. A chat site you seem not to have encountered is here: http://chat.stackexchange.com/transcript/201/ it's being repeatedly visited by trolls, sockpuppets, and wannabe site damagers. It takes a while before the trusting regulars get a handle on what's going on ;)
Yesterday, there was someone there with a nick out of the Merchant of Venice. That person has changed nicks and made new accounts so often that I think he/she is unstoppable!

The same thing happened on Discourse, early on, the trolls were dealt with quickly, and have never been back. Things may be a bit different now that Jorge and Marco seem to be the only moderators, but when notified of a problem, they do act fairly quickly.