PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on Samsung Ativ

Seine
August 9th, 2013, 02:24 AM
What is the current state of play regarding installing Ubuntu on the Samsung Ativ series? I am about to buy a notebook and am considering these, but I only have a few days to get Ubuntu installed before I need to use it in anger and I don't want lots of teething issues. I would prefer to install 13.04 dual boot with win 8. Will it work? What are the tricks & traps?

Thank you
Jem

Vincenzo_Pota
August 15th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Hi Jem,
I've installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my Samsung ATIV 6 a few days ago and I have to say that I'm pretty happy about it.
First, I should say that I didn't keep Windows 8. I repleaced every single byte of my computer with Ubuntu (yeah!). So I didn't have any of the double-boot problems that some users seem to have.
Once installed, almost everything works fine. The "function" key works. Audio and video work perfectly. The 3D accelleration works with the open source drivers, but not with the propetary drivers.
There are two things that are not fully functional:
the touchpad works, but it is not recognised, in the sense that I don't have the touchpad tab in the "mouse and touchpad" option in system settings. I'm sure this is easy to fix and I'll deal with it eventualy.
The only annoying thing is that I'm stuck with a low resolution on a 15.6 inch screen. I'm using a 1366x768 (which is good enough indeed), but I don't have options to choose a higher one. There are are several threads in this forum about this.
So, I would say... do it, but make sure that the dual-boot will work.
Hope this helps.

jams88
December 19th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Hi Jem,
I've installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my Samsung ATIV 6 a few days ago and I have to say that I'm pretty happy about it.
First, I should say that I didn't keep Windows 8. I repleaced every single byte of my computer with Ubuntu (yeah!). So I didn't have any of the double-boot problems that some users seem to have.
Once installed, almost everything works fine. The "function" key works. Audio and video work perfectly. The 3D accelleration works with the open source drivers, but not with the propetary drivers.
There are two things that are not fully functional:
the touchpad works, but it is not recognised, in the sense that I don't have the touchpad tab in the "mouse and touchpad" option in system settings. I'm sure this is easy to fix and I'll deal with it eventualy.
The only annoying thing is that I'm stuck with a low resolution on a 15.6 inch screen. I'm using a 1366x768 (which is good enough indeed), but I don't have options to choose a higher one. There are are several threads in this forum about this.
So, I would say... do it, but make sure that the dual-boot will work.
Hope this helps.

Vincenzo, sorry but you have an 8850m card rigth? , im having problems intalling the 3D accelleration, could you guide me a little and tell me were find the info or were download the correct drivers please.
Best regards JM