PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best GUI for NAS/File/Web/Media Server

Ghost_Toker
August 7th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Hi there, I'm new to posting on the forums but have done plenty of reading of this great resource.

I know this is kind of beating a dead horse and maybe I should just experiment with a few, but I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how to configure a clean looking GUI front end for a server I've put together running Ubuntu Server 12.04.2. It's a pretty capable system for what it does: 2.6GHz ivybridge celeron, 4gig RAM, OS running on a 32gig SSD with a 3Tb seagate for storage. Down the line It'll probably get a 2TB RAID1 array for primary storage.

Right now it's mostly a NAS box with downloaders and a samba file server. Eventually I might have it be a webserver but just running a forum for friends, nothing to heavy. It is currently headless and I enjoy managing it sans-desktop via SSH just fine.

However, I would like to configure a desktop environment that is mostly a media server front end but something with a web-browser and all the necissary plug-ins for video play back and web browsing

I know GUI's and servers normally don't mix but security issues aside does anybody have any suggestions on how to configure a pretty but light weight frontend and any pro's and con's of one vs the other. I'd prefer something with pretty good aesthetics since it will be general use for folks around my cabin.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.