PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Complete Removal of Package

Geoff_Lane
August 7th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Guys,

I run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my laptop but would like some advice on a problem with my Raspberry Pi running Debian so am sure I'll get some suggestions.

I have a problem with apache web server and want to remove and start again.

I have tried sudo apt-get --purge remove apache2

Found some files still there so did sudo dpkg --purge apache2

Still found files in /etc/apache2

As some of it works and some doesn't I am going round in circles trying to solve so think it is quicker to start again but cannot completely remove ALL files.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Geffers

bapoumba
August 7th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Did you try sudo apt-get autoremove and then, sudo apt-get clean ?

autoremove
autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to
satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no longer needed.

ian-weisser
August 7th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Use dpkg's -L and -S flags to ensure that the files you discover are really created by Apache instead of some other package. For example, some of the files may be installed by the apache2.2-common package, or other dependencies.

One appropriate way to uninstall most packages is "sudo apt get autoremove apache2". This will remove apache2 and all it's dependencies (like apache2.2-common).

apt-get's 'purge' flag does not remove files in /home. That's deliberate. Your data in /home is considered yours, not the application's. Package uninstall scripts should not remove your data. For example, you usually don't want your e-mail archive deleted when you when you change mail clients. There is no "autopurge" flag equivalent to "autoremove".

apt-get's 'remove' flag does not remove files in /etc (settings) nor /home. That's deliberate. If you reinstall, your old settings are preserved. This is left over from the bad old days when it took a lot of work and experimentation to find just the right settings, and keeping them was important. Custom settings still occur, and this flag is not obsolete.

Does any flag remove /home files? No.