PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 Install: "No Video Mode Activated" & Drops into BusyBox. Help?

DiagonalArg
August 7th, 2013, 08:46 AM
After some effort, I just succeeded in finally installing 12.04
onto a mirrored pair of disks, with an encrypted swap/root,
as described in this previous thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2165704

Problem is that when i try to boot the machine, I get:

"no video mode activated".

I had this problem on a previous machine, and could do:
Ctl-Alt-F1, Ctl-Alt-F7 to get to the disk decryption splash
screen. This time, it fails. Instead, I get the Ubuntu
splash for a minute, and then drop into BusyBox
(which I don't know how to use).

Any thoughts?

/Thx.

DiagonalArg
August 7th, 2013, 10:09 AM
I am following this procedure:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/137655/boot-up-fails-drops-to-initramfs-prompt-12-04

fsck found a few problems on my /boot partition, which appear fixed. On the other hand it seems every inode has problems on my root partition.

Any thoughts why this would be?

[Edit:

The root partition finished with:
Error storing directory block information (inode=16844507, blocks=0, num=1479831): memory allocation failed.

/dev/mapper/udisks-luks-uuid-....: ********
FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
e2fsck: aborted

/dev/mapper/udisks-luks-uuid-....: ********
FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

I've rebooted, and this procedure has had no effect on the boot behavior.
]

DiagonalArg
August 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Well, I've reinstalled from the top. I still get the "no video mode activated" error, but C-A-F1, C-A-F7 works to get me to the screen where I can decrypt the disk, and then the boot process works. Installing the proprietary Nvidia drivers turned that splash screen with a text box into a garbled screen with no text-box; but it does ask for the password using a more terminal-like system (inserting *'s as I type).

I guess I'll accept that for now.

It's taken me at least a dozen installs to get here. One thing I have learned in this process, is that the partitioning tools seem finicky. If I tried to partition using parted or gparted, followed by mdadm, then the installers just didn't seem to be able to handle it. Somewhere along the way, they would freak out.