PDA

View Full Version : That moment you realize...

RadicaX
August 6th, 2013, 08:04 AM
So I have had this computer for 6 years, basically the day this model came out. Compaq Presario SR5250NX. Nothing to fancy, I remember seeing it in the best buy, and there were two computers there, one with a better graphics card, or this one with a intel dual-core processor, so I picked this instead. It came with a 32-bit version of vista... So I just assumed it was a 32 bit pc....

Playing around with the CLI, I decided to try out a new command. uname -a pretty cool, gave me some info, but I noticed i686... So I started wondering, could my processor handle 64-bit? Turns out it can! That moment you feel like a dope.

After I get some proper internet. (have 5 GB a month of data to use at the moment.) I am going to download a 64-bit version of Xubuntu or something to use instead. Any of you have that moment where you realized something completely silly or cool about your computer?

Paqman
August 6th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Yep, a lot of people don't realise that some of the later Pentiums are 64-bit. Hell, even some of the Atoms are 64-bit. It won't be that long before 32-bit only x86 CPUs are very rare animals.

RadicaX
August 6th, 2013, 11:10 PM
I am sure! I did not think that my pc would handle both. makes me remember, I am still a noob.

PJs Ronin
August 6th, 2013, 11:38 PM
... After I get some proper internet. (have 5 GB a month of data to use at the moment.) I am going to download a 64-bit version of Xubuntu or something ...

I know the feeling of being data limited; my plan allows 7Gb. Was a joyous day when I found out that my ISP had some sites that were not metered and thus did not go against my plan, and that one of those sites hosted 99% of everything Linux (and damn near anything else I needed too). Suggest you check with your ISP about unmetered sites then check those sites against the Ubuntu mirrors list.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
August 7th, 2013, 12:22 AM
we have had 64bit hardware since the days of XP, bot everyone used 32bit software, as far as i know OEMs just shipped everything 32bit before windows 7

RadicaX
August 7th, 2013, 01:18 AM
I know the feeling of being data limited; my plan allows 7Gb. Was a joyous day when I found out that my ISP had some sites that were not metered and thus did not go against my plan, and that one of those sites hosted 99% of everything Linux (and damn near anything else I needed too). Suggest you check with your ISP about unmetered sites then check those sites against the Ubuntu mirrors list.

Now that is interesting, why in the world would they not have usage monitored and such sent straight from the card? You think it is because someone could just flip the switch and get around them then? My service currently is virgin mobile BB2G, they have changed all their stuff as of late, so it has been a pain, and no longer unlimited.

I would not ask them on the phone though, might sound pretty bad. "Hey, that is a nice internet you have, do you have some sites you do not monitor usage?..." I will be checking into it though, thanks for telling me that.

PJs Ronin
August 7th, 2013, 02:20 AM
^^ np

The main site my ISP doesn't monitor is the Aussie university backbone, mirror.aarnet.edu.au. I found this thanks to google searches, sobv. See if a similar arrangement exists in your country.

kurt18947
August 7th, 2013, 08:28 AM
I kinda thought the reason for the persistence of 32 bit O.S.s was the lack of 64 bit hardware drivers. I know 32 bit hardware drivers can be installed on 64 bit linux using force-all in command line installs. Brother printers use this. I'm not sure about Windows though, I've stuck with 32 bit Windows for that reason.

mastablasta
August 7th, 2013, 03:37 PM
i realised this before the purchase... but still just shows the stupidity of OEM installs.

the netbook i have came with win7 starter. which is a limited 32bit OS that supports max 2 GB ram (as certain Atom CPUs found on plenty of netbooks only support max 2GB RAM). the system can be (easilly) upgraded to windows home (with a few extra cash), yet that upgrade can use max 4GB ram as it is still a 32 bit OS. to get windows hme 64 bit you need to buy the os and completelly reinstall it (might be difficult as OS comes on DVD and netbook doesn't have any DVD). back to my netbook.

so as i said it came with 32 bit win7 starter and 2GB ram. but the CPU is a 64 bit AMD E-450 and the motherboard can support up to 8 GB ram. see how stupid their choice of OS was? i wonder why they didn't just put 64bit win 7 Home on it. there is enough ram and more can be added. The GPU is quite nice as well for all those effects. and i wouldn't mind paying a bit more for it. the win7 starter otherwise runs fast and keeps the mashcine cool with some extra drivers.

anyway since i had enough of connecting to lan issue and printing over lan + some other things i plan to max the ram (or at least upgrade it to 6GB with a 4GB stick) and dualboot it with Kubuntu 64bit - that way using max power this little mashcine has to offer.

kurt18947
August 7th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Another little known tidbit is that Windows XP 32 bit has PAE extensions but they're disabled. I don't know if enabling PAE on XP would cause problems or if not enabling PAE was to 'encourage' people to upgrade & give MS more money. The same With Win 7 but it looks pretty easy to enable PAE on Win 7, just a registry edit from what I saw.

mastablasta
August 8th, 2013, 08:26 AM
i will see what happens soon (ordered adidtional 2GB of ram for another WinXP maschine). though i guess i already have them enabled since it says i am running PAE.