PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using Ubuntu Precise in Ubuntu Raring

Rishav_Kumar
August 6th, 2013, 12:04 AM
I have ubuntu raring (13.04) installed on my computer. However, I have softwares(specifically ROS) that are not supported by ubuntu raring. ROS(fuerte desktop full version) runs on ubuntu precise at least.

Is there any way i can use ubuntu precise in ubuntu raring i.e. need not have to install ubuntu precise alongside ubuntu raring? Are there any virtual engines/machines (like the ones that allow using Windows XP in Windows 7) that can get me running ROS in raring?

Please suggest the best alternative.

Frogs Hair
August 6th, 2013, 01:58 AM
See the link for one alternative. There may be some options in the software center also. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Rishav_Kumar
August 6th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Thank you.
Someone suggested to download the required libraries of the the precise version that works with the software and then use the software. Is that correct? In that way i would avoid the use of a virtual box. The main problem during installing the software in raring(not supported) is that there are broken packages that are not getting fixed. Is there any work around?

Frogs Hair
August 6th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I don't know if there is much you can do if there are conflicts causing broken packages . 12.04 uses gnome 3.4 libs and 13.04 uses 3.6 . Even If you found a W/O by compiling a simple update may break it anyway. VBox. and similar software use a lot of memory so that is a consideration also .