PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use fancy Compiz effects any more?

adaminards
August 5th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Hey guys. I started using Ubuntu when I was around 12/13 (I am 17 now) on 9.04 and one of the things that made me try it was seeing all the "cool" effects that 12/13 year olds find cool such as the cube, wobbly windows and the fire animations etc. To me, it was amazing that an operating system could be free and have such "cool" effects. Stuff that Windows and Mac OS X didn't have. I wiped the install of Windows XP that was on my AMD Athlon desktop at the time and moved to Ubuntu.

After using Ubuntu for quite a while, I switched to Mac OS X with a Hackintosh and then with a real Mac which was then sold to fund a Hackintosh which I used for a while before building my current computer (i7 3770, 8gb ram, GT640 graphics) which was build to be the ultimate Hackintosh (It is easier to get OS X running on it than Windows 7!) I used this with OS X for a while then decided to move back to Ubuntu.

Maybe it is because I got used to the simple and clean look of OS X or maybe It is just because I have done a lot of growing up, but I just don't use these effects anymore. I have a very light and discreet blue glow around the window that is currently being used and that is the only thing I have enabled for looks. I also have Expo and Scale enabled but that is just to replicated Spaces and Expose (or mission control) that I was so used to on OS X.

So my question is, does anybody use wobbly windows or anything like that? If so, what age are you and do you feel like they greatly improve your experience with Ubuntu? If not, did you use them in the past? What made you stop using them?

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, but I am just rambling... ;)

monkeybrain20122
August 5th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Still use wobbly windows and edge flip for switching desktop. I like the cube too but wall seems to be more efficient when using with scale to switch between desktops.

Linuxratty
August 5th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I still use wobbly windows and zoom and like the shadows behind the windows.
What is edge flip for switching desktops?

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
August 5th, 2013, 02:31 PM
edgeflip is just a fancy effect commonly used with cube for switching workspaces
i switched to xubuntu, compiz is just too buggy now days, it was great in 10.04

Linuxratty
August 5th, 2013, 03:15 PM
edgeflip is just a fancy effect commonly used with cube for switching workspaces

Ok,thanks.
I use classic Gnome as my desktop.
Yeah,I think Compiz is going the way of the dodo sad to say. :(

philinux
August 5th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I dont at the moment. I'm running a vanilla saucy.

This sounded bad for compiz. http://www.muktware.com/5361/compiz-contributor-ubuntu-me-now-waste-time

But then things move on. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mark-Shuttleworth-Says-Mir-Is-Running-Faster-Than-X-366641.shtml

And this looks awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU9Nl8yErTA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kio1nyzppwU

llanitedave2
August 5th, 2013, 04:28 PM
I'm using the cube on Kubuntu, with 4 desktops. I still like it.

buzzingrobot
August 5th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Nope, never have. Always found it really, really, annoying. Pointless, too.

monkeybrain20122
August 5th, 2013, 08:09 PM

Edgeflips also works with wall, and IMO actually works better than the cube. In Ubuntu 13.04 most of the bugs are fixed and there are workarounds for many of them in 12.04., don't know about Xubuntu though.

Compiz is not just eye candy. It is a powerful desktop manager. I find that scale and edge flip along with some switchers are the most useful functions for multitasking.

monkeybrain20122
August 5th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I dont at the moment. I'm running a vanilla saucy.

This sounded bad for compiz. http://www.muktware.com/5361/compiz-contributor-ubuntu-me-now-waste-time

Actually Sam has an update
http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2013/04/13/moving-forward/

monkeybrain20122
August 5th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I'm using the cube on Kubuntu, with 4 desktops. I still like it.

You mean you are using the cube in kwin? That is not Compiz. :)

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
August 6th, 2013, 01:20 AM
Edgeflips also works with wall, and IMO actually works better than the cube. In Ubuntu 13.04 most of the bugs are fixed and there are workarounds for many of them in 12.04., don't know about Xubuntu though.

Compiz is not just eye candy. It is a powerful desktop manager. I find that scale and edge flip along with some switchers are the most useful functions for multitasking.belive me i know about the awesome window management, i really do miss scale and expo
i need to be able to move windows within the wall that was badly broken last i checked, which was near the release of 13.04

DeadlyOats
August 6th, 2013, 03:06 AM
I love those effects. But I gotta get a nice set-up before I try adding the fancy stuff later. Sometimes I'll re-install 'buntu a few times before getting it just right. Then I'll add the fancy effects. So... I haven't used 'em in a while now.

llanitedave
August 6th, 2013, 06:51 AM
You mean you are using the cube in kwin? That is not Compiz. :)

OK. When I first started using the cube a couple of years back it WAS Compiz. Seems pretty much the same effect now that it was then.

carl4926
August 6th, 2013, 07:25 AM
I turn effects off in KDE
I leave Ubuntu's Compiz effects Vanilla

stinkeye
August 6th, 2013, 08:16 AM
So my question is, does anybody use wobbly windows or anything like that? If so, what age are you and do you feel like they greatly improve your experience with Ubuntu? If not, did you use them in the past? What made you stop using them?

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, but I am just rambling... ;)

Was drawn to linux, just out of curiosity ...the compiz effects were a bonus.
Still run the cube.
Most of my time is spent browsing the web and the compiz effects don't affect performance for me.

If compiz causes problems when running a particular application,
I have a script to toggle between compiz/unity and metacity/gnome-panel.

I can do without effects like bouncing icons etc as used in cairo-dock
but love the wobbly windows, the cube and minimize animations.

su:bhatta
August 6th, 2013, 09:52 AM
back in 10.10 Maverick, only Compiz could do Cube, expose, the lot of candy basicaly!
Nowadays, the default DE's have some of them installed as option! No wonder Compiz is losing out!

Am using Cube, Wobbly, Expose in KDE, not through Compiz tho' ....

TeamRocket1233c
August 6th, 2013, 08:22 PM
No need as it doesn't really effect MATE too much.

TeamRocket1233c
August 6th, 2013, 08:24 PM
back in 10.10 Maverick, only Compiz could do Cube, expose, the lot of candy basicaly!
Nowadays, the default DE's have some of them installed as option! No wonder Compiz is losing out!

Am using Cube, Wobbly, Expose in KDE, not through Compiz tho' ....

Unity's still using Compiz, but Canonical is supposedly going to QML/Qt by 14.04 or 14.10.

niles-collins
August 6th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Not really. It is great to show people that don't know what linux is. But I didn't find it practical to work with.