PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome theme frustrations. Am I doing something wrong?

Roasted
August 2nd, 2013, 08:30 PM
I'm running Ubuntu GNOME with Gnome on version 3.8. I have the tweak tool installed, so in theory I should be able to easily change themes, which, I can, but it seems to complicate other things. I have yet to find a single GTK theme that works great on all applications. If I fire up one that looks great, then I open Quassel or Evolution or something and it looks absolutely terrible. No single theme has ever looked decent across other applications. Maybe I need to restart Gnome each time? That's the only thing I haven't tried now that I think about it.

This is one thing (probably the only thing) that I miss from KDE... having a nice theme'ing process. Built in utility to automatically download and install them... ahh... absolutely genius. Pretty much everything else though was a bummer for me, so that's why I'm using Gnome these days. Absolutely love it, but like I said, I just find it hard to believe that theme'ing Gnome 3.8 is such a hit and miss process. Clearly I must be doing something wrong. Any insight?

EDIT - I talked to a Gnome dev (or else a highly educated user) who gave me some insight. He said that earlier versions of Gnome 3.0 had a much more lax set of CSS restrictions. As more recent versions of Gnome came out, the restrictions tightened and are basically at a plateu now as they hit the 'standard' to be in use. (at least, this is how I understand it). Likewise, GTK3 is entirely CSS based, whereas GTK2 was... far from it. That's why some applications look bad and others look good. The key is to get a theme that supports GTK2 and GTK3, at least until GTK2 applications port to GTK3.

At least this makes more sense, and that the theme breakage that originated from earlier versions of GTK 3.x should not be an issue anymore. Nice, nice. I'm all ears if anybody else has anything else to offer!

zombifier25
August 3rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
Is the theme you're using updated for GNOME 3.8? Does your theme has a GTK2 and GTK3 version? (like you stated)
Last time I check, not a lot of themes were updated for 3.8.