PDA

View Full Version : ... But my cynicism is just too overpowering...

DeadlyOats
August 1st, 2013, 11:00 AM
Did it have to be Ubuntu 1 for the login? I mean, wasn't it so very convenient that in the course of restoring the forums, they got us to use Ubuntu 1 login and, perhaps, got us one step closer to becoming Ubuntu 1 customers, if we were not before?

This overpowering cynicism probably came from me questioning everything that's happened in computing over the years, starting with Microsoft's overt attempts to destroy everything around them in order to force us to be their locked in customers. The incredible difficulty that has been part of installing Linux, or anything else not a Microsoft product, on new hardware with UEFI (a Microsoft product, I'm led to believe). The difficulty to dual boot Linux, or any other OS, with Windows, with WinXP and before, and made nearly impossible starting with Win7 (or Vista? I've never used Vista, so I don't know).

But this cynicism has gone on to cause me to question the motives of other companies, Google - a giant Linux advocate. Intel, are they in cahoots with Microsoft? That Rapid Whatsit is a pain to work with Linux installs too. It goes on and on.

It doesn't help that I've recently started playing EVE Online, and now I'm finding myself becoming even more cynical - to the point that when I found that the forums were back up, my first thought was not, "Yay! The forums are back!" It was, "Why Ubuntu 1 for a login? Why not just improve the security of the original login process, improve security where they were breached, and put it all back. I wonder if the reason it took so long was that they were getting everything set up for Ubuntu 1? How convenient the "cyber attack" was for them...."

I had to shake my head to interrupt the conspiracies that were forming in my head, and remind myself that, "Hey! Now I can look up that thread on how to dual boot Win7 and Ubuntu!"

Sigh.... It didn't used to be this way....

Am I the only one who thought this way? Or have I just been dealing with Microsoft's antics for too long and playing EVE Online too much?

lukeiamyourfather
August 1st, 2013, 11:16 AM
Am I the only one who thought this way?

Yes. :neutral:

Copper Bezel
August 1st, 2013, 11:24 AM
It's kinda hard to use Ubuntu without picking up an Ubuntu One account. It's much more difficult than, say, not having a Launchpad account, which previously had a shared login option with the forums. I'd assume that the thinking is that if users already have an Ubuntu One account, it's going to be simpler to transfer it (and if not, yeah, it gets people that far in the door, but it's not as if you're putting up credit card information to get access to the forums.)

prodigy_
August 1st, 2013, 12:36 PM
I doubt the attack was planned. Even for Canonical it would be a bit too far. But it was convenient for them and the switch to U1 login was obviously nothing but a marketing trick.

brandelvalico
August 1st, 2013, 12:48 PM
Your not the only one. The thought crossed my mind also. The warning here during the attack suggested having seperate passwords for your online activities. Which I agree with. Now all my online Ubuntu activities only have one password. Due directly to this change. Its nothing I'm going to lose sleep over mind you. But just felt you should know your not the only one who asked the question. The next question though is did they fake the whole thing to get us to use ubuntu one?

(For the Record this post is a bit of sarcastic homour or is it???)

stinkeye
August 1st, 2013, 01:20 PM
I doubt the attack was planned. Even for Canonical it would be a bit too far. But it was convenient for them and the switch to U1 login was obviously nothing but a marketing trick.

That axe should be ground down to the handle by now... :-s

philinux
August 1st, 2013, 03:42 PM
The openid plugin has been mooted for yonks and has been in the pipeline for yonks too.

http://browse.feedreader.com/c/kyleabaker_com/181654166

It was even asked for as far back as 2007 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=465661&highlight=openid

Also see this from last year.

http://www.jorgecastro.org/2012/07/31/ubuntu-forums-needs-single-sign-on-again/

QIII
August 1st, 2013, 04:16 PM

If it is a marketing ploy it is a poor one. I've not received any unwanted or unsolicited marketing materials, even though I have had an account for quite a while.

coldraven
August 1st, 2013, 05:55 PM
I have had an Ubuntu One account for a while but it is seldom used. Like any other "cloud" storage the main problem is the upload speed. I suppose that if I generated lots of documents it would be handy but I cannot be bothered to watch an upload progress bar crawl across the screen to store some jpgs or music.
My router tells me that my download speed is 8128 kbps but the upload is only 448 kbps.
Maybe in the future the speed will increase and I'll start to use it.

DeadlyOats
August 1st, 2013, 10:07 PM
I guess I'm just jumping at shadows, then. Perhaps from Canonical's point of view, they're making lemonade from lemons... (making the best of a bad situation). You're right, my in-boxes aren't getting flooded with Ubuntu products and services offers.

For the record, I really am happy and grateful (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2164531&page=2) they got the forums back up. It's just that that question popped up into my mind and I had to voice it.

philinux
August 1st, 2013, 10:21 PM
Jumping at shadows is one of my all time favourite blues track

Chris of Arabia
August 1st, 2013, 11:30 PM
Jumping at shadows is one of my all time favourite blues track

Don't you just love Gary Moore's version?

Linuxratty
August 2nd, 2013, 12:49 AM
The thought crossed my mind as well. I really don't trust the cloud,so i have no plans to use U1 except as a log in.

mikodo
August 2nd, 2013, 03:47 AM
It's kinda hard to use Ubuntu without picking up an Ubuntu One account. It's much more difficult than, say, not having a Launchpad account, which previously had a shared login option with the forums. I'd assume that the thinking is that if users already have an Ubuntu One account, it's going to be simpler to transfer it (and if not, yeah, it gets people that far in the door, but it's not as if you're putting up credit card information to get access to the forums.)

I have read numerous posts of your's and have never disagreed. This time I don't follow. But, due to history, I'll go with ^^ what CB said, for most people. I have a launchpad account for questions and the odd bug report, but only briefly had, but never used an Ubuntu One account. Now, I must keep one, even if I don't use the service, which in itself, is not a bother to me.

vasa1
August 2nd, 2013, 04:00 AM
I have had an Ubuntu One account for a while but it is seldom used. Like any other "cloud" storage the main problem is the upload speed. I suppose that if I generated lots of documents it would be handy but I cannot be bothered to watch an upload progress bar crawl across the screen to store some jpgs or music.
My router tells me that my download speed is 8128 kbps but the upload is only 448 kbps.
Maybe in the future the speed will increase and I'll start to use it.
The latter part of this post would be useful as a separate thread elsewhere. But, at least for ADSL connections, upload is much slower than download (if I understand correctly).

Apropos nothing at all, I hope "The Cafe" is moved to Discourse ASAP. There, posts also get feedback in the form of little hearts. Awesome.

monkeybrain20122
August 2nd, 2013, 04:09 AM
I don't use Ubuntu One so I just made a new account. I don't think having a Ubu 1 account for the UF would make me start using it, I have no need for it, and if I eventually do want to use it I would definitely use a different account and a different email address (this one is just for online forums and such, nothing important) Is it a way to advertise Ubu one for people don't know about it before? It is possible, but it is not something sinister as far as I can see.

Only complaint is that it is more cumbersome to login now. I mean, is it necessary to go to a page asking me am I sure that I want to log in instead of just logging me in?

monkeybrain20122
August 2nd, 2013, 04:16 AM

Why not? I have a launchpad account for bug reports but I have no need for cloud storage or buying stuffs through Ubuntu so I never have a Ubuntu one account. I am sure I am not alone.

chili555
August 3rd, 2013, 02:28 AM
they got us to use Ubuntu 1 login and, perhaps, got us one step closer to becoming Ubuntu 1 customers, For cryin' out loud! What is Ubuntu One, a black hole? Do you think you are going to fall in whether you want to or not? If you have no need for the service, as I don't, then just don't use the service. Was that so hard?

I'm always skeptical of those who expound loudly about how they don't like Ubuntu One, super-hero movies, Gentoo, chocolate, asparagus, left-liberal politics, German cars, etc. My suggestion is that if you don't like it, don't use it. Problem solved.

critin
August 3rd, 2013, 02:41 AM
It's just that that question popped up into my mind and I had to voice it.

Now it's in my mind.

Rasa1111
August 3rd, 2013, 03:41 AM
Lay off the video games dude.
I don't know many people who are more "conspiracy minded" than myself..
and even I'm shaking my head at you. lol
If someone who thinks we never stopped going back to the moon (me) is calling you bonkers.. you just may be bonkers, my friend. lol :P

philinux
August 3rd, 2013, 01:48 PM
Ubuntu one. Free. Free 5 gig storage. The end.

courseinmiracles2
August 4th, 2013, 03:50 AM
Yeah!! Lets protest the hell out it!! ....Wait...What... your already back to being happy!?! Man, you've got to be fast these days ; )

Elfy
August 4th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Why not? I have a launchpad account for bug reports but I have no need for cloud storage or buying stuffs through Ubuntu so I never have a Ubuntu one account. I am sure I am not alone.

You do know that the launchpad account is tied up with ubuntu one?

Do you know that ubuntu one now isn't actually the cloud thing - which I've no interest in - but just a way to login to everything?

Can I assume that you don't want your other account now?

CharlesA
August 4th, 2013, 03:28 PM
You do know that the launchpad account is tied up with ubuntu one?

I remember reading something that said they just renamed the Ubuntu SSO thing to Ubuntu One as a branding thing. Can't find the article/page now, though.

critin
August 5th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Open ID has been around a long, long time and a lot of people use it. You can sign up to many by using facebook log in info, and it goes on and on. I like it actually. If Ubuntu one worked on other sites, I would register those too.
Of course the financial sites I keep separated anyway.

Paqman
August 5th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Why Ubuntu 1 for a login?

It isn't Ubuntu One, it's your Ubuntu SSO. Single Sign On is used for several things, such as Launchpad (you have signed up to Launchpad and use it to report bigs, right?).

The fact it's also used for U1 isn't really relevant, there's nothing stopping you from using your SSO for everything else and never touching U1.

deadflowr
August 5th, 2013, 08:12 AM
I remember reading something that said they just renamed the Ubuntu SSO thing to Ubuntu One as a branding thing. Can't find the article/page now, though.

You probably read something like this
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2013/06/21/improving-web-services-for-ubuntu/

ukripper
August 5th, 2013, 04:35 PM
IMO, one secure account is better

CharlesA
August 5th, 2013, 05:16 PM
You probably read something like this
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2013/06/21/improving-web-services-for-ubuntu/

That would be it. Thanks! :)

deadflowr
August 5th, 2013, 11:01 PM
That would be it. Thanks! :)

My favorite part is that the fridge has over 1300 beans in the forum.:p

CharlesA
August 6th, 2013, 12:49 AM
My favorite part is that the fridge has over 1300 beans in the forum.:p

What a spammer! :p

DeadlyOats
August 6th, 2013, 02:57 AM
For cryin' out loud! What is Ubuntu One, a black hole? Do you think you are going to fall in whether you want to or not? If you have no need for the service, as I don't, then just don't use the service. Was that so hard?

I'm always skeptical of those who expound loudly about how they don't like Ubuntu One, super-hero movies, Gentoo, chocolate, asparagus, left-liberal politics, German cars, etc. My suggestion is that if you don't like it, don't use it. Problem solved.

That's what Microsoft, Facebook, and Google say about their products...

... I don't know many people who are more "conspiracy minded" than myself...

Then you haven't played EVE Online. LOL

...(you have signed up to Launchpad and use it to report bigs, right?).

*sheepishly guilty voice*

:oops: no.

vasa1
August 6th, 2013, 04:18 AM
What a spammer! :p
Yup! Generally posts the link to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter after it's already been posted by the Princess ;)

Elfy
August 6th, 2013, 07:52 AM
It's just not very original I guess ;)

user1397
August 7th, 2013, 05:32 AM
This is what you're cynical about? Man, I've got big problems then... My cynicism is loads worse than yours, so be thankful :)