PDA

View Full Version : Problem with gcc on Ubuntu 12.10

seriouslylinux
July 31st, 2013, 03:30 PM
I don't know if I'm in the right forum but I will describe my problem anyway. I am using Teach Yourself C to learn the C language. I am using the Netbeans 7.3.1 IDE and the gcc compiler from the Ubuntu Software center. Three weeks ago everything was working fine. There have been some updates on Ubuntu 12.10 in the meantime and I haven't been in the IDE for three weeks because of other personal matters. Now when I try to compile my source, none of the keyboard functions work: scanf, gets, or fgets. In addition to that the Netbeans IDE seems to hang when I try to go to the project properties section to check the linkers. Is this a bug with Ubuntu 12.10 or something else?

GwL3eNC
July 31st, 2013, 10:07 PM
Hallo,

evtl. you have to give a bit more information. What means work not. Do you get an
error message during compilation or linking? You can try another IDE to find out
that Netbeans is guilty. Try Eclipse or DevC++. There are much you can choose.

I would also try to reeinstall some packages

sudo apt-get install --reinstall build-essential

Keep learnig C. It never dies!

Tony Flury
August 1st, 2013, 02:21 PM
I would also suggest checking that the code compiles without using an IDE at all - i.e. from the command line. That way you can actually see the error messsages if any. It also helps in future to understand what the IDE is doing under the skin.

I would go so far as to suggest that a beginner should not use an IDE - it gets in the way of learning.

seriouslylinux
August 2nd, 2013, 12:11 PM
Thank you both for the reply. I will try what you have suggested and see if it makes a difference. If I have further trouble or different info I will pass it on.

seriouslylinux
August 12th, 2013, 04:47 AM
HI,
I finally had a chance to try the gcc compiler in the terminal and it is working so my problem is with Netbeans IDE. I think I will take Tony's advice and learn the language in the terminal and editor rather than using an IDE. I am not new to programming just new to C. Thanks for the advice and the answer.