PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Discourse!

stevesy
July 31st, 2013, 11:03 AM
Really nice site and some lovely people there. http://ubuntu-discourse.org/ Thanks for all the work done (updates etc) while the forums were down. Great site to have alongside UF : ]

7R6Kh6w
July 31st, 2013, 11:24 AM
...well said, i can imagine the sleepless nights they gone thru..lol

Gnawnsense
July 31st, 2013, 05:11 PM
It's gotten a wee bit more quiet over on Discourse since the forums opened back up. Here's to hoping they both co-exist with a healthy userbase. Really like the Discourse platform thus far.

malspa
July 31st, 2013, 06:47 PM
These forums being down led me to sign up at Discourse. Glad to have an account there, and now I'll pop in at both places regularly. So I guess it's and "win," in the end.

Chris of Arabia
July 31st, 2013, 08:22 PM
I guess I'd happily add my thanks on this one too. The outage here just happened to coincide with my first rebuild in 5 years so I ended up needing a little bit of a bootstrap. The people over there seemed more than willing to accepte my novice questions and help out. Not only did I get helped out, I got my first exposure to a Discourse based site. Whilst it might be in test at the moment, it's looking really good. Cheers guys.

cariboo
July 31st, 2013, 10:51 PM
We are thinking about moving the Cafe discussions to http://test.ubuntu-discourse.org/, as that forum software isn't really setup to work the way we do here for solving problems, but it is perfect for Cafe type discussions. Of course Discourse is at a very alpha stage, so it may be a while.

stevesy
August 1st, 2013, 06:07 PM
We are thinking about moving the Cafe discussions to http://test.ubuntu-discourse.org/, as that forum software isn't really setup to work the way we do here for solving problems, but it is perfect for Cafe type discussions. Of course Discourse is at a very alpha stage, so it may be a while.

So you would remove The Cafe forum from UF?

cortman
August 1st, 2013, 07:19 PM
I found myself liking Discourse a good bit as well, but I agree with cariboo907 that it seems much more suited for discussion than support.

deadflowr
August 1st, 2013, 07:36 PM
I like discourse...

I too, would like to see some implementation of it as a cafe/os chat thingy.

QIII
August 1st, 2013, 07:44 PM
I like discourse purely for the fact that some of the posters over there know what they're talking about and don't post flaming FUD based on hearsay and mythical beliefs.

I too, would like to see some implementation of it as a cafe/os chat thingy.

Strangely, I got just the opposite impression.

stevesy
August 1st, 2013, 08:10 PM
Just an idea ok and I don't know how difficult it would be to implement or whether it's even possible to do so between both forum platforms.. Why not replace The Cafe on UF with a new forum called "Discourse" for general chat. Within that forum and with the exception of "feedback" maybe, you would have exactly the same topics/subforums (cafe, app development etc) as are on the Discourse site. Then work out a way to sync the two so people can post in either forum and it shows up in both. So you would have Discourse as a standalone site for more relaxed/lighthearted chat if that's where you wanna go, but it would also be available via UF for those who choose to post/chat that way. Might bring both sites closer together if that's what people wanted, one more technical/problem related and the other more chat-based but both linked. Just an idea..

Buntu Bunny
August 1st, 2013, 08:21 PM
I was unaware of Discourse until the Forums went down. I liked it very well too. Unless there was a direct link from the Forums to Discourse, however, I don't know if I'd think to check it for chat threads. Would Mods be able to transfer non-support threads from the Forum to Discourse?

deadflowr
August 1st, 2013, 08:24 PM
Strangely, I got just the opposite impression.

Funny enough, my own post here seems flamy.

I think I'll clean it up a little.

stevesy
August 1st, 2013, 08:46 PM
Unless there was a direct link from the Forums to Discourse, however, I don't know if I'd think to check it for chat threads. Would Mods be able to transfer non-support threads from the Forum to Discourse?

My point was you could post in either forum, whichever you prefer/choose at the time. Posts/threads would show up in both. I was only thinking of posts/threads that would correspond with the topics available on Discourse.

QIII
August 1st, 2013, 08:55 PM
If posts are visible in both, there wouldn't be much need for going through the technical and moderation trouble required for each to fulfill a distinct role.

stevesy
August 1st, 2013, 09:01 PM
If posts are visible in both, there wouldn't be much need for going through the technical and moderation trouble required for each to fulfill a distinct role.

Maybe some people would prefer the feel of the Discourse platform for general chat over UF? And vice versa of course.

QIII
August 1st, 2013, 09:06 PM
I think that the general concept is for Discourse to take on the chat/general Ubuntu discussion role and UF to move away from non-support functions.

stevesy
August 1st, 2013, 09:18 PM
I think that the general concept is for Discourse to take on the chat/general Ubuntu discussion role and UF to move away from non-support functions.

Fair enough QIII but don't you think that could make UF a little too serious? Especially for newcomers. I'm quite new myself on UF but from what I've seen a lot of people like to have a cafe/non-support area to chat in.

QIII
August 1st, 2013, 09:25 PM
Bear in mind that Discourse is in its infancy, so it won't change overnight. And the chat/cafe stuff wouldn't disappear. It would just generally migrate to Discourse naturally for the most part.

But I have seen a couple of Admins talking about the possibility of a deliberate migration.

None of this is set in stone, though.

craig10x
August 2nd, 2013, 01:39 AM
Yeah i would have to say that if ubuntu forums was only for support topics with no discussion topics, it would get kind of dry, if you know what i mean...i am sure both newbies and seasoned ubuntu/linux users like the fact that they can get support AND discuss topics here as well...so i hope the administrators and moderators will keep that in mind...

vasa1
August 2nd, 2013, 05:05 AM
I'm all in favor, as I have been for quite a while, for having "The Cafe" totally separated from actual technical support. However, the discussion on the separation/movement to Discourse seems to be limited to the people who are actually doing the heavy lifting and so there's not much more to say other than it's just another browser tab for those who want to participate in both chat/discussion and actual technical support :)

mikodo
August 2nd, 2013, 06:45 AM
Who's general concept? Or, is that one person's, idea?

Personally, I like the way Ubuntu Forums are now. I don't see any need to have the discussion part of the forum removed, to a format that is not even decided, on what it will be. Discourse is a *test site* only! General concepts are premature, for anyone to suggest, at this juncture. Ubuntu Forums on the other hand, are a smooth running, well organized and mature support, discussion and information center. To consider messing with that, for a half-baked site, like a Discourse-test site, is very premature. Ubuntu Forums, is the most well organized and well run forum, I have ever witnessed. When it comes to the downfalls of forums, I think Ubuntu Forums are an exception and if asked, Jeff Atwood, (Discourse originator), I think, would agree.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and make *General Assumptions*, on anything involving Ubuntu Discourse. It is not even decided what it will be, if anything.

QIII
August 2nd, 2013, 07:09 AM
Jorge's, several of the Admins and staff here. Jorge has already archived the support section over there.

Again, as I said, nothing set in stone, no "official" decisions have been made and Discourse is in its infancy.

mikodo
August 2nd, 2013, 07:21 AM
Jorge's, several of the Admins and staff here. Jorge has already archived the support section over there.

Again, as I said, nothing set in stone, no "official" decisions have been made and Discourse is in its infancy.
The one person, I was thinking of was Jorge, Not you, just to be clear. I am not sure Ubuntu Discourse, being one of the few *test sites* for Discourse, can be considered "in its infancy", being that last I heard, it is not decided if it will be anything as of yet, besides being a *test*.

QIII
August 2nd, 2013, 07:25 AM
OK. I can only speak to the discussions I've been involved in with folks here and there.

mikodo
August 2nd, 2013, 07:40 AM
Upon reflection, I took offense to the comment made earlier that the "general concept", is for Discourse to take on the chat/general Ubuntu discussion role", as if Ubuntu Discourse is a given reality, and it's format had been decided, when in actuality, neither is decided. Also, if you were to quiz me on my support for the Ubuntu Forums, you would find me one who would defend any erosion of it functions, heartily. It is what has allowed myself to be able to be using Linux. It holds a special place in my heart. To erode it, in any way that diminishes it's stature or continued effectiveness and need for Ubuntu to continue to support, will be met with resistance by me. I may be wrong in seeing comments and possible moves to change the forums as they are now, as jeopardizing them, but I defend my actions to support them, until I know more, what may in reality be planned.

Elfy
August 2nd, 2013, 07:41 AM
ok - we've been looking

we've been chatting

we've been trying

we have made no decision

when we feel something needs to happen then we will involve the community that we run this site for - that would be all of you

until that time you are all effectively discussing it with one hand tied to a foot.

thanks