PDA

View Full Version : Yeahhhh Ubuntu !!!

ventrical
July 30th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Hi everybody .... 'sniffle' .. it''s been a long time. :)

thiebaude
July 30th, 2013, 07:07 PM
It's sure is good to be back

ventrical
July 30th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Hey ... it's working .. hehehehehehe ....

thanks guys and gals .. nice job .. whew .. that was a long wait ..:) lol

PaulW2U
July 30th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Indeed, no longer a regular poster but I have missed reading the forums.

Erik1984
July 30th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Yes good to be back :)

craig10x
July 30th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Oh yeah...had some trouble logging in earlier but seems to be ok now...:D

That hacker should be ashamed of himself/herself...but perhaps as a result, the forum will be much more secure then ever before...

SantaFe
July 30th, 2013, 07:16 PM
YEA! Glad to be here I Guarenteeeeeeeeeeeeee! :D

OrangeCrate
July 30th, 2013, 07:16 PM
In before the next outage...

\\:D/

cortman
July 30th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Good job, admins & IS team.

z46fndR
Thank you serveradmins for all your hard work you did the last days! I'm back and I love it! :grin:

stevesy
Made it! : ]

apollothethird
ubuntuforums.org, I missed you. Glad you're back!

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames (http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames)

ventrical
July 30th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Ok.. first bug... it appears that when trying to 'quote' a message it will bring you back to the login screen - then relog-on and you can post again..

edit:

that fixed now..

kevin2849
July 30th, 2013, 07:20 PM
I have seldom posted on the forum but didn't realize how often I visited until it was unavailable. Glad it is back!

Linuxratty
July 30th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Oh yeah...had some trouble logging in earlier but seems to be ok now...:D

That hacker should be ashamed of himself/herself...but perhaps as a result, the forum will be much more secure then ever before...

Me too. Just wrote Elfy and asked for help.
Let's see if this thing works now.

ikt
July 30th, 2013, 07:22 PM
ubuntuforums.org, I missed you. Glad you're back!

Me too :)

ventrical
July 30th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Me too. Just wrote Elfy and asked for help.
Let's see if this thing works now.

Your in .. ! :) lol

xc3RnbFO8P
July 30th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Ok.. first bug... it appears that when trying to 'quote' a message it will bring you back to the login screen - then relog-on and you can post again..

Doesnt happend here, I use remember password

MadmanRB
That was quite a wait though, but I am actually glad to see Ubuntu forums back up again despite some of my issues here ;)

rTJCCrc
...ya, and i lost all my beans!

maheshasolkar
You don't realize how many day-to-day Linux issues searches redirect to ubuntuforums.org until the site is down! Glad to have the resource back online.

deadflowr
Good job, admins & IS team.

+1000

Feels go to be back.:guitar:

ventrical
July 30th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Wow .. great to see everybody back in..

cheers :)lol

SuperFreak
July 30th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Thanks for all the hard work putting the forums back online

pb-zalewski-leszek
July 30th, 2013, 07:33 PM
You don't realize how many day-to-day Linux issues searches redirect to ubuntuforums.org until the site is down! Glad to have the resource back online.

Yes, it was a bad time to start playing around with bumblebee and nvidia, at least there were google copies ;)

helpee
July 30th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Aaaah, the single best resource on the internet is back.... Thank you to all of the Forum Admins who acted so quickly in informing us of the problem and who worked so hard to get this site back up and running again so quickly. Amazing job.

On a separate note... Buy the Ubuntu Edge!
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge/x/4105262?c=comments#

vasa1
July 30th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all the hard work putting the forums back online
Ditto!

david83
July 30th, 2013, 07:46 PM
...ya, and i lost all my beans!

Me 2 .... Bummer :(

boregard
feels good to be back. thanks, to all involved in getting forum back up and running!

Cavsfan
Hi everybody .... 'sniffle' .. it''s been a long time. :)

Yayyyyyyyyyyy! :D It's good to be back in here. :)

Cheesemill
July 30th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Here you go admins and Canonical IS, you deserve it :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511-ZZpisHL._SL75_SS50_.jpg

Cavsfan
July 30th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I just clicked on Quick Links and then Find all my threads and it didn't find anything. :(

Edit: it says "Please add more constraints to your search. Searches that return all or most of the database are a bad idea."

Linuxratty
July 30th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Your in .. ! :) lol

I am indeed!):P
I was really wondering if I'd have to change my password again!:shock:
Anyway,it's great to see the forum back and everybody...I'm sure hoping the hacker gets caught and gets to do some time in the big house for this. :evil: I just don't understand how anyone can enjoy engaging in such activities. It just boggles my mind.

cm34Xh3
July 30th, 2013, 08:08 PM
It's nice that it's back! I wanted to register just as it went down. So now I finally could :)

Chelidze
July 30th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Finally it is back :)

Cavsfan
July 30th, 2013, 08:19 PM
It's nice that it's back! I wanted to register just as it went down. So now I finally could :)

Welcome to the forum cm34Xh3! You'll find a lot of good people willing to share their knowledge about Linux/Ubuntu here. :D

Bashing-om
July 30th, 2013, 08:28 PM
@Cavsfan;

Wonder full to be back ... I was so excited when I clicked and there was the forum !
now:

I just clicked on Quick Links and then Find all my threads and it didn't find anything.

Edit: it says "Please add more constraints to your search. Searches that return all or most of the database are a bad idea."

Issue is reported and IS is looking into it (cariboo907)... I am advised that we can get to the old threads/post via our profile ..I have not verified this to this time.

uuuhh, does it not feel good ! Back in the saddle again

Linuxratty
July 30th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Welcome aboard! I think you will really like this forum. It's chock full of the finest people out there.
Have fun.:D

ventrical
July 30th, 2013, 08:37 PM
@Cavsfan;

Wonder full to be back ... I was so excited when I clicked and there was the forum !
now:

Issue is reported and IS is looking into it (cariboo907)... I am advised that we can get to the old threads/post via our profile ..I have not verified this to this time.

Just click your username then <veiw forum posts

regards..

Frogs Hair
July 30th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Nice to be home ! Thank you to all who made it possible . :guitar:

Sylos
July 30th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Another thank you to the admins for all the work in rebuilding and getting the forum back up.

Much appreciated.

Now I can waste my lunch break the way I should - by reading posts forum posts on subjects that dont affect me. ;)

Cheers

Sylos
July 30th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Another thank you to the admins for all the work in rebuilding and getting the forum back up.

Much appreciated.

Now I can waste my lunch break the way I should - by reading forum posts on subjects that dont affect me. ;)

Cheers

Ctpsbwd
July 30th, 2013, 09:04 PM
glad to see the site back. but very annoyed that i had to create a new account

Chris of Arabia
July 30th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Nice to be back again, and many thanks to all those who've been offering me a little guidance over at http://ubuntu-discourse.org/ these last few days - thanks chaps :)

Cavsfan
July 30th, 2013, 09:08 PM

Thanks! Good to know and yes it does feel good to be back in the forum! :D

Just click your username then <veiw forum posts

regards..

Ventrical, that does not do the same as finding all threads started by me. I guess it will be fixed soon. I remember when we first went to the new forum format it did the same with that same feature.
Must be something they can easily fix though.

Aww home sweet home!
:guitar:

chili555
July 30th, 2013, 09:30 PM
It's baaaacckk!!! Thanks for all the hard work, admins. Glad to be back home again.

rg4w2
July 30th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Kudos to the forum team! I imagine it was a heckuva lotta work getting things restored, but it was as easy as I could imagine to log in again and update my password. Good to be back - thank you, admins!

snowpine
July 30th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Nice work by the mods to get the site back up and running, kudos! :)
Shame on the person who hacked it. :(
(although the penguin with the AK was pretty cute...)

bjje
July 30th, 2013, 09:59 PM
bump

Thank you admins!!!):P

RobNJ
July 30th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Well, At least I re-discoverd my original account! ;)

ETA- Thanks to everyone who got the forum back up & running!

sandyd
July 30th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Me 2 .... Bummer :(

See the sticked threads in http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48 for instructions on how to get into your normal account + current issues in doing so :)

If you are still having issues, feel free to post in that forum to gain help to login to your old account.

Bashing-om
July 30th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Hey all, Looks like this issue is fixed now.

I just clicked on Quick Links and then Find all my threads and it didn't find anything.

I have access to all my old post and marked threads !

Makes my life better

The Spectre
July 30th, 2013, 11:11 PM
It sure is nice to have the Forums back.\\:D/

It seamed like forever while it was down.:(

Linuxratty
July 30th, 2013, 11:15 PM
That basically picked the wrong user name and used my usual username as my full name and greyed out the check mark so I can't fix it.

Ask an admin or mod. They should be able to undo it for you (I hope).

scbingham
July 30th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Ah forums, how I have missed thee.

Thank you admins, et al. Glad to be back.

Ender Shadow
July 30th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Forums are back online! Awsome!

I do wonder if the hacker(s) are in any way related to the attack on Serebii's forums...

pshomeexpress
July 30th, 2013, 11:31 PM
okay so I lose my account because my ubuntu one email and my ubuntu forums email are different. I had important past posts that I refer too for help. Plus I lost my name too.

PJs Ronin
July 30th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Do you people have any idea how many links come back to the Ubuntu Forums when you use a search engine to help fix a Linux problem. For a while there I thought the internet (or at least 60% of it) had died. Congrats and thanks to all involved in getting the forum back up and running... awesome job folks.

slickymaster
July 30th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Yeah, there's no place like... the one we feel well, relaxed, helped, helpful, among friendly faces.

Admins, mods, everyone who worked relentlessly on it, please accept out congratulations and our heartfelt thanks for bringing back this fabulous place.

Ubunterrific
July 30th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Phew...now that was a bit of a hiccup. So gossip time - who was responsible for the hacks etc?

Cheesemill
July 30th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Full details of the hack can be found here...

http://blog.canonical.com/2013/07/30/ubuntu-forums-are-back-up-and-a-post-mortem/

Ubunterrific
July 30th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Full details of the hack can be found here...

http://blog.canonical.com/2013/07/30/ubuntu-forums-are-back-up-and-a-post-mortem/

Cheers! Can't believe someone would do that, but it's nice to read a concise list of the new security measures. Hope this kind of thing doesn't happen to UF again :popcorn:

Linuxratty
July 31st, 2013, 12:18 AM
Cheers! Can't believe someone would do that,

I feel the same way.
I do wonder how easy it is to catch such a person,or can they do this and never get caught.

kdar1987
July 31st, 2013, 01:31 AM
Nice to be back.... even that I can't figure out how to log into my old account (kdar).

Irihapeti
July 31st, 2013, 01:33 AM
Nice to be back.... even that I can't figure out how to log into my old account (kdar).

If you're having trouble logging in, post in the Resolution Centre.

Kdar
July 31st, 2013, 01:44 AM
I just got it! :)...
I probably will go back to resolution forum now and ask to deactivate that new account.

timut
July 31st, 2013, 01:50 AM
yeaaah, thank you for recovery!

Kdar
July 31st, 2013, 02:00 AM
I wonder if recovery of Ubuntu Forums will help Ubuntu Edge with meeting it's goal. Maybe it will get much more interest than during last couple of days.

hannysabbagh
July 31st, 2013, 02:09 AM
good to hear the forums up and running again :)
in my way, i registered an Ubuntu One accaunt too xD

OmegaSupreme
July 31st, 2013, 02:10 AM
Glad the forums are back. I was starting to go crazy without them!

Gnawnsense
July 31st, 2013, 03:35 AM
To all the powers that be that contributed to getting this amazing resource back online, we love you.

No really.

We do.

mikodo
July 31st, 2013, 03:35 AM
I want to thank all of the hardworking admins, mods and IS. Especially Elfy, who stayed up late, just to fix an issue with my login, that couldn't be done from my end. He fixed it, and then went bed.

You guys are the best.

THANK YOU!

BlinkinCat
July 31st, 2013, 03:41 AM
Yeah, there's no place like... the one we feel well, relaxed, helped, helpful, among friendly faces.

Admins, mods, everyone who worked relentlessly on it, please accept out congratulations and our heartfelt thanks for bringing back this fabulous place.

And a huge +1 from me!

sammiev
July 31st, 2013, 03:52 AM
Time to play again. :)

vasa1
July 31st, 2013, 05:45 AM
It's so nice to see so many people signed in again :)

For those who have been allotted weird login names, I'm sure the mods will be able to fix things over the course of a few days.

sffvba[e0rt
July 31st, 2013, 06:12 AM
Nice to be back at my home away from home (oh and I see several names here that are familiar from Discourse) :)

mastablasta
July 31st, 2013, 07:09 AM
withdrawal symptoms - shaking, can't sleep, can't function in everyday life... :-P

finnally crysis averted.

llanitedave-c
July 31st, 2013, 07:19 AM
What a vicious hack! I totally appreciate the thorough job the forums staff did troubleshooting and correcting this breakin, and the explanation given in the post mortem was first rate! Good job, admins and moderators! Thanks!

WasMeHere
July 31st, 2013, 07:33 AM
Hey ... it's working .. hehehehehehe ....

thanks guys and gals .. nice job .. whew .. that was a long wait ..:) lol
+1 :-)

bacardiandwatermelon
July 31st, 2013, 01:14 PM
It is definitely good to be back :p

Elfy
July 31st, 2013, 01:28 PM
What a vicious hack! I totally appreciate the thorough job the forums staff did troubleshooting and correcting this breakin, and the explanation given in the post mortem was first rate! Good job, admins and moderators! Thanks!

Just to reiterate what's been said elsewhere

it is the IS team that have done the work up until the forum went live :)

sudodus
July 31st, 2013, 01:39 PM

Yes, and if I understand correctly, you mods and admins have done a lot of testing during the last few days, until it was public .

Anyway, I'm glad the forums are up and running now :-)

grahammechanical
July 31st, 2013, 02:47 PM
Hi all!

I only just noticed we were back. I have been checking every day. I had no trouble with Single Sign On. I had already changed my Launchpad password. A big thank you for all those who worked long and hard on our behalf!

Regards.

deadflowr
July 31st, 2013, 04:44 PM

Don't sell yourself short.
You guys/gals did an excellent job pre re-launch keeping us up to speed over at discourse (http://ubuntu-discourse.org/).

And you've done a fine job sorting through the login muck, post re-launch.

craig10x
July 31st, 2013, 05:04 PM
I was just wondering...i notice that after having logged in and i leave the forums for a period of time and then come back to them, i am logged out and have to log back in again....
Is there a way to stay logged in (until i manually log out) like the way it use to work? Or has it been changed that you have to always log in again after being away from the forum pages for a while?

Was just curious...Thanks :)

oseb
July 31st, 2013, 06:47 PM
oh.. I entered.

Handssolow
July 31st, 2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks to everyone who sorted this out.

ventrical
July 31st, 2013, 10:37 PM
I was just wondering...i notice that after having logged in and i leave the forums for a period of time and then come back to them, i am logged out and have to log back in again....
Is there a way to stay logged in (until i manually log out) like the way it use to work? Or has it been changed that you have to always log in again after being away from the forum pages for a while?

Was just curious...Thanks :)

Yep .. same here .. auto time-out or somthing..

QIII
July 31st, 2013, 10:45 PM
Already moved! ;)

craig10x
July 31st, 2013, 11:04 PM
@ventrical: thanks for confirming....thought that might be the way it works as far as auto log out...

forrestcupp
August 1st, 2013, 01:35 AM
Hey guys. I'm glad the forums are back up.

gordie692
August 1st, 2013, 04:50 PM
I can't believe someone hack in to a forum and for what, whats in a forum to hack someone with too much time on his hands

But anyways glad to be back online and back with 13.04 and happy

ukripper
August 5th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Yes glad too

sandyd
August 5th, 2013, 06:39 PM
threads merged

Gone fishing
August 5th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Pleased to be back too - I've missed the forums.

codingman
August 6th, 2013, 03:32 AM
Glad they're back on again too. Feels weird after using discourse...

craig10x
August 6th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Same Here and i don't even mind the unity one sign in (now that i have the account there)...only thing is i wish you could stay logged in all the time as it use to be...I notice if you leave the site for a certain period of time, it logs you out again...so i find myself having to log in much more often now...

Netstatus
August 8th, 2013, 05:34 PM
I'm very thankful to those who fixed the situation. Felt like starting fresh so I even made a new account.

Bashing-om
August 8th, 2013, 06:03 PM
@ Netstatus;

Don't miss the water 'till the well goes dry ! .. We were all thirsty.

You are not the only one making that decision .. several have opted to "start over" ...
Interesting mind game for me to figure out, who now was who then !
More the incentive to mind our "{p&&q}'s" !!

happy days are here again