PDA

View Full Version : Can I use Ubuntu-Phone on Nexus 4 in October w/ T-Mobile?

glln0v
July 18th, 2013, 02:29 AM
If I buy a Nexus 4 today, will I be able to install the stable version of Ubuntu-Touch in October and actually use the Nexus 4 as my only cell phone? Assume T-Mobile is the carrier.

Will all the stuff work (phone, messaging, etc) even though it would be running an OS that did not come with the phone? I dislike Android and am not interested in purchasing the Nexus 4 to run Android. But to survive the interim until October I will install CyanogenMod.

I'm assuming installing CyanogenMod will be similar to installing Ubuntu-Touch in October? That is, the carrier will not have any problems providing cellular service to the phone running the Ubuntu OS.

Nr90
July 18th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Ubuntu Touch is currently close to the state you are describing on the Nexus 4.
Calling, messaging etc. works.

That said, the OS is far from finished in it's current state and the amount of apps available is very limited.

I'd say if you're currently not using a smartphone, but a feature phone, the experience is very similar.
However, if you want to use things like whatsapp or games, the software is not there yet.

The software will obviously be developed further in October... By how much is anyone's guess.