PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 13.04 nvidia drivers problem

zecam
July 17th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Hello everyone.

I'm getting a little desperate here. Recently i bought an HP Envy 15-J005sp which comes with a GT 740M and decided to isntall Ubuntu along side with the pre-installed windows 8. I'm not even going to talk about the troubles i had to overcome with not being able to boot ubuntu because of efi boot, etc, after installing the OS. Anyway after finnaly being able to boot Ubuntu i found out another problem, the OS would boot into a black screen and i had to force a shutdown. I found out this was related to nvidia drives, so i loaded the OS with nomodeset and in the terminal i ran the following commands:

sudo su
apt-get update
apt-get install linux-headers-generic
apt-get install nvidia-current-updates
nvidia-xconfig
apt-get install xorg
apt-get instal xserver-xorg lightdm

After reboot i was able to boot ubuntu with it's user interface (without the need of nomodeset), but i only get to view a small portion of the whole desktop and when i try to right click and change resolution i only find a max resolution of 640x480, it's simply unusable.

This is the content of the xorg.cofig file:

#nvidia-xconfig: X configuration fle generated by nvidia-xconfig
#nvidia-xconfig: version 304.88 (buildmeister@Swio-display-x86-rle147-06)

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "Corekeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "Corepointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
#generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" " 4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
#generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "Kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDI Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSection
Endsection

dino99
July 17th, 2013, 04:21 PM
That card needs a newer driver, at least nvidia-319 or up. Then, the kernel directly deals with X, so nowadays its a good idea to avoid xorg.conf (aka not using xsettings) if you have a single screen config.

From a terminal: sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.c*

then install that ppa to get the latest nvidia driver : https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa
update and install the nvidia-325 driver (be sure, first, that the kernel headers are installed, so the system will be able to compile the driver)

http://askubuntu.com/questions/298375/installing-nvidia-driver-causes-black-screen-750m

zecam
July 17th, 2013, 06:40 PM
First thank you for your fast reply.

Second i'm sorry if this is too obvious and i'm just too inexperient.

So i actually reinstalled a fresh copy of the OS and after reading your instructions i booted with nomodeset and ran:

sudo su
add-apt-repository ppa: xorg-edgers/ppa
apt-get update
apt-get install nvidia-325

It installed the following packages:
nvidia-325 ; nvidia-persistenced ; nvidia-settings-325.
I rebooted without nomodeset and i was back to a black screen.
Now i guess the ppa should have come with a "nvidia-graphics-drivers-325" package? But doing
apt-get install nvidia-graphics-drivers-325 gives a no such package found error...
What am i missing here?

zecam
July 18th, 2013, 08:54 AM
So finally i was able to boot Ubuntu with some UI, but it still has a problem. I only see the desktop background (no desktop sidebars) and the only thing i can do is open the TTY (ctrl alt f1) and pop the right click menu, create new folders/files etc and open the "change desktop background" window, this windows doesn't have the "x" (close) or the minimize button, only way to close is to alt+f4.
So basically the GUI is all messed up, any suggestions?

After some minutes it also pops an error window asking me to report it, something regarding ExecutablePath /usr/bin/compiz

broken plastic
July 18th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I've also been struggling to get 13.04 and nvidia (gt650m in my case) working together. Forget where I read it, but some users were having success if they used xfce instead of unity.

zecam
July 18th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Meh, i just gave up on 13.04, decided to try 12.04 LTS and worked like a charm, i didn't even have to install drivers.
So basically i wasted 2/3 days searching the web trying to make 13.04 work, when i could have just wasted 10 minutes installing a perfectly working 12.04.
Anyway thanks for the replies...

Fyksen
August 1st, 2013, 09:45 PM
Have you gotten the nvidia driver to work yet? I got a laptop with nvidia 750m (optimus). Haven't got the nvidia card to work. Just the Intel one.

TrueNorthist
August 2nd, 2013, 03:32 AM
Go here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee#Installation) and install Bumblebee.

tarron-filmer
August 20th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I managed to install 325 drivers with using nvidia-xconfig at the end of the install, other wise I would get a black/black screen after rebooting

sudo su
add-apt-repository ppa: xorg-edgers/ppa
apt-get update
apt-get install nvidia-325
nvidia-xconfig