PDA

View Full Version : The New Gmail Inbox ! WOW!

su:bhatta
July 15th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Just checked my Gmail & got a shocker !
The new Gmail inbox with tabs for 'Primary Mail' 'Social' & 'Promotions'

While it was WOW !

Will it be able to do itz job in the long run??

That is the question!

fontis
July 15th, 2013, 04:29 PM
I think it's a really annoying move.
I mean, what the flip is the point of separating the inbox without letting the user do it first? What's the point. The point of the inbox is to have everything there and then you can sort your mail out accordingly afterwards.

Idk.
I dont like it.

malspa
July 15th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Not something I'll use, so I'll stick with my current inbox type. They've been taking their time rolling this out; it was mentioned back in May at the "Official Gmail Blog":

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-new-inbox-that-puts-you-back-in.html

Gnawnsense
July 16th, 2013, 08:20 PM
It's actually doing a pretty decent job at sorting through my incoming mail.

I thought I'd really find it annoying at first, but it's actually turning out to be quite convenient.

Copper Bezel
July 16th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I don't hate it. It seemed awful in concept, but I turned it on anyway, and my inbox looked cleaner. "Primary," "Social," "Promotions," "Updates," and "Forums" seem like bad names - for instance, the "Forums" tab isn't really working - all my forum stuff went to "Updates," including UF. But if I read the tabs as "Real Inbox," "Social Media," "Grey Mail," "Automatically Generated But Relevant," and "Empty," it starts to make a lot of sense. It'd be even better if I could rename them that way, natch. = )

monkeybrain2012
July 16th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I think it is terrible, it seems to just label my emails more or less randomly. I would rather just check my inbox the old fashion way.

OrangeCrate
July 16th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Fortunately, it took less than 5 seconds to find out how to get rid of the new tabs.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/3055016?p=inboxtabs&hl=en&rd=1

Copper Bezel
July 17th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Did you guys get them automatically? I had to turn them on intentionally.

Gnawnsense
July 17th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Did you guys get them automatically? I had to turn them on intentionally.

I did, but I also didn't get the "Welcome to your new inbox!" message that my wife did, either, but she also had it rolled out later, if that makes a difference.

I like how the default three tabs they set up are with Primary/Social/Promotions. Primary has filtered any actual conversations correctly, the Social tab has correctly filtering my Facebook, Twitter, various forums, and such. Promotions also picked up all the Living Socials and whatnot.

Content with the default 3 tabs. Still waiting to be able to try it on my mobile, tho.

smellyman
July 17th, 2013, 06:09 AM
The NSA tab is a bit disturbing.

July 17th, 2013, 06:09 AM
I also got the right mails in the Primary tab! But Promotions was a mess... I made a new tab for 'Forums' & once i send a couple of UF mails there, & chose 'do this from now on' or some thing like that now it seems to have sorted out!

Basically, i like that 'Promotions' are not coming to 'Primary'.. Thats neat....

I am for new changes, i like this one as of now,

doesn't take long to change back, does it...
I will let it run a while...

July 17th, 2013, 06:13 AM
The NSA tab is a bit disturbing.

What 'NSA' tab???

Copper Bezel
July 17th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Don't worry about it - some messages get filtered according to flags in the content, but anything under the NSA tab is still visible elsewhere in the inbox, like how starred messages can appear in multiple tabs. Plus, it's pretty useless since it's not actually visible - to you.

= )

July 17th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Any ways I don't care what these people are up2! NSA !!! Huh ! Itz all going back to '1984' !

What have i got to hide, other than my underwear ! :)
As long as my clientz data are safe itz all ok to me....

vasa1
July 17th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I like the tabs. They just showed up. I didn't have to do anything.

mike acker
July 17th, 2013, 12:52 PM
My recommendation is: Contact Corecomm services. Get your own domain name and e/mail service
use Thunderbird

MichaelFindlay
July 17th, 2013, 09:03 PM
On the flip side i had rules setup to have all my mail arrive in to diff folders and sub folders, now they have added this it is more of a pain for me to go through my e-mail.

steamer360
July 18th, 2013, 12:58 AM
The tabs are a great idea, I just wish they had a collective inbox tab as well, for those times when you want to look at all of your mail at once.

July 18th, 2013, 10:19 AM
The tabs are a great idea, I just wish they had a collective inbox tab as well, for those times when you want to look at all of your mail at once.

Now thatz what would have made every1 happy!!!!

malspa
July 18th, 2013, 10:32 AM

Doesn't the "Primary" tab do that?

Edit: Oh, I guess not.

doboxagrey12
July 18th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Hey i like it too.Nyc move.

CharlesA
July 18th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Fortunately, it took less than 5 seconds to find out how to get rid of the new tabs.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/3055016?p=inboxtabs&hl=en&rd=1

Thanks for the link.

I rarely access gmail directly from a browser, but that's good to know.

Thank you Thunderbird!

July 19th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Using it for 3 days, i cant say I hate it...

Gives a clean inbox... I stopped using Thunderbird/Evolution Mail clients some time back....

Now that I have got KDE, thinking of trying out the Kontact or what the default mail client of KDE is called!!!

PaulW2U
July 19th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Now that I have got KDE, thinking of trying out the Kontact or what the default mail client of KDE is called!!!

That would be KMail. :)

July 19th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Yup ! It was Kmail... Just deleted it along with Kontact...:)

Linuxratty
July 30th, 2013, 08:26 PM
WOW is definitely not the word a friend of mine used. His new and "improved" Gmail is virtually inoperative. He can only type in plane text and none of the buttons work. :(
He's not a happy camper.
It works fine for me and I killed the advertisement tab straight away. :-\"

headflux
July 31st, 2013, 08:36 PM
Thank You OrangeCrate! The tabs were really doing my head in.

August 1st, 2013, 04:02 PM
works for me still... and I ain't complaining yet..
BTW, it's good to be back here....

Buntu Bunny
August 2nd, 2013, 02:14 AM
I haven't gotten mine yet but my husband is really annoyed with his.

tojonukokhadush
August 3rd, 2013, 04:07 AM
come on don't think too much! it's cool anyway!!

d2btoo
August 3rd, 2013, 04:16 AM
Why use web-interface! it's slow! :rolleyes:

carl4926
August 3rd, 2013, 04:43 AM
Disabled this silly feature

terry_gardener
August 3rd, 2013, 07:42 PM
is there a desktop email client that i can use, that enables this feature.

courseinmiracles2
August 4th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Screw google. They sold us out!. <snip>

donovan1983
August 5th, 2013, 02:50 AM
I love the new tabs and turned on the Updates and Forums ones in addition to the default Social Networking and Promotions ones. It did require some manual moving around of some messages but otherwise it works fantastically for me. It makes it so much easier to find important emails since they are less likely to get lost in a flood of promotional messages yet. As a nice bonus, the the Android Gmail app will only display a new message notification for emails that stay in the primary inbox so now if I see that notification I know it's actually something important.