PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Website DL'ed Sound Card DRIVER software HD Installation

iearu
July 14th, 2013, 10:13 PM
My PC: Desk top Dell mini-tower Dimension 2400; Ubuntu 10.4 version OS

I disabled (turned off) the MB integrated Sound via the BIOS settings option.

Installed a StarTech 4 Channel PCI Sound Card (Hardware).

Loaded the supplied Driver CD software only to discover that Linux OS's were not included.

Chatted on-line with a StarTech Support man, and was given an http ... URL where I could DL Linux DRIVERS for Redhat, SUSE, and several other Linux OS's (but Ubuntu was not listed).

I went to the website and DL'd the Driver which to my delight Ubuntu copied {it}.

It appears on my "see Downloads" monitor screen as: CMedia_CM18738, 155.6 MB, Folder, (Date modified) 30 March 2012. (FTR, I tried DLing from the CD just in case Ubuntu would recognize the DRIVER, but I got the Error / not in archive folders [or something like that] message).

The monitor's screen Heading reads: CMedia_CM18738.zip [read only]

My Question is, How do I INSTALL the Driver onto my Hard Drive ?!

TIA
Dennis

iearu
July 15th, 2013, 04:48 AM
My Update:

Going to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers
the monitor's screen correctly informs me that as yet there are no proprietary drivers enabled (all of my apps are within Ubuntu's Packages).

Because the Sound Card driver software is not within the Ubuntu Packages I Clicked On the HELP button at the bottom of the HD screen.

The Help section offered me the instructions for "Enabling a proprietary driver", which upon reading its' number 4 (of 5) steps says : The proprietary driver may have to be downloaded and INSTALLED.

However I can not find / locate any instructions on HOW to do step 4 ! FTR, I have the driver DL'd but that's as far as I can get ...

Doesn't it seem logical that the instructions should provide a Click On link informing one how he / she can do step 4 ?!

Dennis

iearu
July 15th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Re: Website DL'ed Sound Card DRIVER software HD Installation
My Update:

Going to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers
the monitor's screen correctly informs me that as yet there are no proprietary drivers enabled (all of my apps are within Ubuntu's Packages).

Because the Sound Card driver software is not within the Ubuntu Packages I Clicked On the HELP button at the bottom of the HD screen.

The Help section offered me the instructions for "Enabling a proprietary driver", which upon reading its' number 4 (of 5) steps says : The proprietary driver may have to be downloaded and INSTALLED.

However I can not find / locate any instructions on HOW to do step 4 ! FTR, I have the driver DL'd but that's as far as I can get ...

Doesn't it seem logical that the instructions should provide a Click On link informing one how he / she can do step 4 ?!

Dennis

coldraven
July 15th, 2013, 07:09 AM
I'm guessing that the package you downloaded was for Windows and therefore cannot be installed.
If it was a Linux package and if it was designed for your version of Ubuntu you would have to right click on it, select "Properties" and set "Permissions" to "Allow as Executable".

Edit: Thinking about it you would probably need to install it as root. So after doing the above you would run it in a terminal

sudo <packagename>

Cheesemill
July 15th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Threads merged.

Please don't create more than one thread for the same issue as it dilutes the communities ability to help.

Mark Phelps
July 15th, 2013, 02:15 PM
A .ZIP file is a compressed archive. You need to use unrar to uncompress it into its constituent parts. Once you do that, you should see a bunch of files, and maybe directories, with a readme text file -- which will provide the instructions you need.

Additional Drivers is for video and network drivers, not for audio drivers.

iearu
July 15th, 2013, 05:19 PM
[Post #5] Cheesemill: Sorry about that! My thinking (as a first time poster) was that this forum was like perhaps most others, i.e. once an OP's Thread / Posting gets dropped down the list due to subsequent other postings then it becomes some what like the saying, "out of sight, out of mind". I had noticed that after 9 hours and 127 views -- but no replies -- there was a slim chance of my receiving an answer (OR perhaps I needed to rephrase my question; hence the "new" Thread).
Thanks for correcting me!

[Post #4] Coldraven: Your response looks like it may be the / a QUICK solution! And thanks for adding the Command Line Code!

The DL {proprietary} driver is for Linux, and was copied by my 10.4 version; Ubuntu opened it with "Archive Manager (default)". Your comment about one's Ubuntu version was very interesting. For any reading this, this is what the StarTech tech told me it was for (he didn't know about Ubuntu): Slackware 4.0, Open Linux 2.2, Redhat (the Tech called it "Redhead" lol) version 6.0 and S.u.S.E. 6.1.

[Post #6] Mark Phelps: Yes! All that you stated about what I should see after UNcompressing the .zip is exactly what the StarTech driver CD showed me when I attempted to DL the Windows options (Visa, XP, 7 and 8). Naturally when I tried to open any of the "bunch of files" it was nada nada! I plan on trying Coldraven's suggestion first, and IF it fails I will do it as you have so kindly informed me --- I see what you are saying because of what I saw when attempting the Windows drivers off of the CD!

=================================

Again, I sincerely Thank All of you repliers! as well as all you unknown "Viewers" who in doing so were at least interested in seeing if you could help me -- or perhaps wanted to "learn" something also!

Dennis
Precepts Precede Promises