PDA

View Full Version : Why connect to www.runeplanet.com?

vasa1
July 14th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I just noticed that opening a page at ubuntuforums.org involves connecting to "runeplanet.com". What's that about?

The Cog
July 14th, 2013, 06:59 PM
I'm pretty sure it doesn't do that for me. I ran "watch lsof -i" in a command prompt while loading a forum page.

vasa1
July 14th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I'm pretty sure it doesn't do that for me. I ran "watch lsof -i" in a command prompt while loading a forum page.
Please try this page: http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?do=getnew

It may not appear on subsequent pages.

But this is what I see when I look at "open blockable items" in AdBlock Plus. I also saw it show up in the little status bubble that appears in the bottom left of pages in Firefox when a pages is loading or when the mouse cursor is over a link:

Erik1984
July 14th, 2013, 07:31 PM
It takes a script from there called vb.js NoScript blocks runeplanet here by default as I've not whitelisted it. I see no difference in appearance when allowing or disallowing the script.

vasa1
July 14th, 2013, 07:41 PM
It takes a script from there called vb.js NoScript blocks runeplanet here by default as I've not whitelisted it. I see no difference in appearance when allowing or disallowing the script. This is de direct link to the script: http://www.runeplanet.com/at/vb.js
Thanks for confirming. My question was why does this occur. As you can see from the image I put up, I've blocked it as well until I know more about why it's linked to ubuntuforums.org..

Erik1984
July 14th, 2013, 07:48 PM
-

The Cog
July 14th, 2013, 08:01 PM
It's a script linked to in a post "Test" posted by DiegoTc in Honduras announcements.
I'm not that good with javascript, but I do see a function called "stealPassword()".
The script is http://www.runeplanet.com/at/vb.js

The Cog
July 14th, 2013, 09:25 PM
By the way,

Nice catch, vasa1.

vasa1
July 15th, 2013, 03:03 AM
By the way,

Nice catch, vasa1.
Thank you! I don't know much about how these things work but isn't it a bit scary that a script in a post, a post I noticed but didn't open, is loaded?

Copper Bezel
July 15th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Even if you don't have any kind of prefetching active in your browser, the first post in each thread visible on the page is loaded to create the tooltip preview of the post. I would have assumed that all happened serverside, though - I wouldn't think that the previews are being generated locally, which I'd think would mean moving around a lot more data than necessary.

The script wouldn't be running, of course, just called as part of the content of the post and then omitted from the preview.

vasa1
July 15th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Even if you don't have any kind of prefetching active in your browser, the first post in each thread visible on the page is loaded to create the tooltip preview of the post. I would have assumed that all happened serverside, though - I wouldn't think that the previews are being generated locally, which I'd think would mean moving around a lot more data than necessary.

The script wouldn't be running, of course, just called as part of the content of the post and then omitted from the preview.
Thanks! Yes, that was the first post (in a new thread) on the page and I didn't see the script appearing on other "internal" pages.

(I stopped bothering about prefetching after I got an "unlimited" internet account.)

coldraven
July 15th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Ghostery tells me that it has blocked the "Facebook Connect" tracker on this page. What is that about?

vasa1
July 15th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Ghostery tells me that it has blocked the "Facebook Connect" tracker on this page. What is that about?

Ubuntu Forums now has a Facebook page. Look at the top of the page for "Social Media". So that's legit. Whether you wish to block it or not is up to you.

sffvba[e0rt
July 15th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Ubuntu Forums now has a Facebook page. Look at the top of the page for "Social Media". So that's legit. Whether you wish to block it or not is up to you.

+1 er like