PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] free space marked as unusable

yichentohjoel
July 13th, 2013, 01:53 PM
i am trying to dual boot my windows 8 laptop (upgraded from windows 7) and decided to install ubuntu 13.04 64bit version with the something else option when booting from a usb drive created with pen drive lunix however when i selected the something else option it tells me that the free space is marked as unusable. i created a 150000mb unallocated partition that i planned to install ubuntu on it . but ubuntu installer marked it as unusable i have 3 other partitions 1 is for windows the other 2 seems to be created by acer ( recovery partition and system reserve)

TheFu
July 13th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Can you please follow these instructions https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info to gather more information? Disks have gotten really complex in the last few years, so I can't as 3 questions and understand your situation. The boot-info script will grab all sorts of data and put it into an anonymous online location (sorta like pastebin) then you just provide a link here. Look through it yourself - nothing sensitive is included (and I'm paranoid!). ;)

BTW, if you are new to Linux, perhaps 13.04 isn't the best choice? 12.04 LTS would be my recommendation since it is targeted for stability and has 5 yrs of patches, not just 1yr like 13.04 or any of the non-LTS releases.