PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] specifying window size, lubuntu-rc.xml, aps invoked with sudo, and root account

Dreamer Fithp Apprentice
July 12th, 2013, 01:32 AM
A lot of aps seem to ignore my lubuntu-rc.xml specification of window size. At least a couple of those, but not all, are aps that require entry of the sudo password at some point. I was wondering if maybe root has it's own equivalent of lubuntu-rc.xml that might be germane in at least those instances, and if so, what it is called, and where is it? I would have thought the fact I'm actually invoking the aps from a user account with full sudo priveleges would mean the user's lubuntu-rc.xml should apply. But since it doesn't seem to work, I was grasping at straws. Now that I've looked for and not found such a file anywhere under /root/ I'm also just plain curious as to why I can't find one, even if it won't help me if I find it. Is it possible some aps seize window management functions for themselves and circumvent openbox's efforts to obey instructions? Is there a more forceful way to keep the unruly little fastards in line?

vasa1
July 12th, 2013, 03:23 AM
A lot of aps seem to ignore my lubuntu-rc.xml specification of window size. At least a couple of those, but not all, are aps that require entry of the sudo password at some point....
Names of the relevant apps? Your Lubuntu version? Have you made any significant tweaks? But, overall, an interesting question!

I haven't come across this situation so far probably because I rarely use GUI-based apps in sudo mode. Synaptic could be one but I never paid attention to the window size.

Dreamer Fithp Apprentice
August 11th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Thank you, Vasa. My internet connection was broken for a while and when I got it back this forum was down. Since I asked the question I gave up on that installation, which was a Lubuntu Precise 64 bit. It just had too many bugs. A third of my aps insisted on using a Greek font I never could track down, as detailed here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2155622&p=12697269#post12697269
and in an earlier post linked to in that one.
Despite a lot of claims to the contrary I think it is pretty clear that even in 2013 it is still a fact of life that 64 bit versions of OSes mostly remain buggier than the 32 bit counterparts.
Synaptic was indeed one of the programs exhibiting this behaviour. I've changed my main system to a Debian MInt 32 bit, which is a fully compatible subset of Debian Testing, which is to say at the moment, Debian Jessie. So far, it's pretty good. I won't mark this thread solved since it wasn't but I'm not pursuing the matter at the moment since that installation has been replaced. Sorry I can't tell you more.

I still have one bootable Ubuntu partition, a Lubuntu Raring 32 bit that I'm in the process of tweaking as an ultra light OS, off and on as I can find the time. If it exhibits the same problem I'll either post back to this thread or link to it.