PDA

View Full Version : GPG Encryption

t0p
July 11th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Is GPG as secure as its creators and fans claim? Or is GPG compromised like, for example, Outlook (and other internet services) (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data)?

EDIT: Also meant to ask: what about other F/OSS? For instance, does Firefox play nice with PRISM?

RE-EDIT: Oh, and what about Android and Chrome/ium? Snowden's leaked documents indicated that the NSA has direct access via its PRISM program to many major internet companies, including Google.

sudodus
July 12th, 2013, 01:32 PM
I think it is a matter of confidence. Unless you really take your time and learn the basics of cryptography, browse through the source code and and check out the details yourself.

And remember that much of the supervision is checking who is communicating with whom, rather than reading (or trying to read) all the communicated content.

kevdog
July 14th, 2013, 03:48 AM
I have no idea if GPG is compromised, however the code is open source. The people that post on the GnuPG forums are very intelligent and a few seem to scan the code and commits regularly. Werner is a really outstanding guy.

The way I read about the actual Microsoft story, was the NSA intercepted supposedly secure encrypted communications prior to them being encrypted. With GnuPG the encryption is done locally. Its not an encrypted channel like TLS/HTTPS where others may have the key.

That being said I'm not sure if anyone can answer your question directly. I feel very confident using GnuPG. I just wish others did as well.

ana551
July 14th, 2013, 10:54 AM
I think you will have to ask the creators of GPG whether they are a secure network or not....each of them have a unique method of encryption....how good that encryption is ,i doubt anyone on this forum can answer that....