PDA

View Full Version : cinnamon flakes out

LT72884
July 10th, 2013, 03:04 AM
Ello all. I am currently running 12.04 LTS in vmplayer. I wanted to try out the stable verion of cinnamon. i follow the onlie tutorial of adding the stable ppa to the apt-get and then updating the apt0-get and then installing cinnamon. i switch environments but to my dismay, i get an error on the desktop saying that it is running in software mode and the screen flashs on and off continually. i log out and try again, same thing. I made sure i did not select software mode either.

thanks

BreezyBrooke
July 10th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Cinnamon demands OpenGL 3d acceleration which VMPlayer can't do to well. So Cinnamon will not run in a VM.

LT72884
July 10th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Cinnamon demands OpenGL 3d acceleration which VMPlayer can't do to well. So Cinnamon will not run in a VM.

well that just sux! haha. I like unity but the one in 12.04 is crappy. you cant manipulate it worth a dang. wish i could move it to the bottom of the screen. haha. Basically i want to try something else besides unity and gnome classic. haha. but i guess in a vm it wont work.

what other options do i have? Whats so cool about cinnamon?

thanks

LT72884
July 10th, 2013, 04:16 AM
what happened to the good ol days before unity? i just switched the environment to gnome and its not the smae as it used to be. I remember in version 11 something, i was able to add pannels and stuf to the sides and change my icons and fonts. Now, in the gnome classic environment, there is no run button like there used to be. or whatever it was called. i think it was called launch and you type in something and it would launch it. gnome used to be cool but the version on 12.04 is not. maybe its time to up to 12.10 and see if it is any better. haha.

thanks

LT72884
July 10th, 2013, 05:16 AM
ok, i ffigured something out. unrelated to cinnamon but related to environments. So when i switch back to just ubuntu as my session, it is supposed to start unity 3d, but apparently it does not on my machine which is odd because on my buddies laptop, he is running it in vmplayer as well and its all in 3d. somethin wierd is going on. haha.

Buntu Bunny
July 10th, 2013, 02:12 PM
what happened to the good ol days before unity? i just switched the environment to gnome and its not the smae as it used to be. I remember in version 11 something, i was able to add pannels and stuf to the sides and change my icons and fonts. Now, in the gnome classic environment, there is no run button like there used to be. or whatever it was called. i think it was called launch and you type in something and it would launch it. gnome used to be cool but the version on 12.04 is not. maybe its time to up to 12.10 and see if it is any better. haha.

You could always try Xfce. Highly customizable and comfortably familiar.