PDA

View Full Version : This board has gotten slow?

mr john
July 9th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I made a post 18 hours ago and it's still on the front page of thos forum. Are less people using the boards these days? I rememeber when there were many more postings in the cafe.

tgalati4
July 9th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I have noticed this as well. Either less people are using the forums or everyone is on holiday. Or no one is having any problems.

farrinux
July 9th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Might be do to the fact that posting in the cafe and sub boards is not a bean builder.

Erik1984
July 9th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Might be do to the fact that posting in the cafe and sub boards is not a bean builder.

But the Café has never been a 'bean builder' at least not when I started posting here.

Buntu Bunny
July 9th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I figured it had something to do with the fairly recent upgrade and will improve once bugs are sorted out.

whatthefunk
July 9th, 2013, 04:13 PM
I think the new board format might have something to do with it. Activity Streams arent for everyone (I personally hate them) and there are a lot less threads on them because they show all recent posts, not all recent threads. Sometimes I look at the Activity Stream and its basically a history of one or two game threads like Tug of War and thats it. The New Posts link, meanwhile, is lost in a menu. Like Ubuntu itself, these forums have become a bit of a clicking nightmare. I know my activity here has gone way down since the forum remodeling.

tgalati4
July 9th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I agree, I don't like the activity stream, so I don't use it. I simply click through to 'New Posts' to get back to the old behavior. It's possible that less people are interested in using linux as a desktop operating system, because of the overall decline in desktop use. With Win8 laptops and higher hurdles to install linux on new hardware, the drop in forum activity would be consistent with these developments.

With the Activity Stream, only 5 posts show up on my laptop screen with a one-liner for the post content. With "Today's Posts" or "New Posts" I can see 14 thread titles and with mouse-over, I can see 4-5 lines of the initial post. How, exactly is "Activity Stream" an improvement? Perhaps if I'm reading posts on a phone, but then I don't respond to posts on a phone because I have no keyboard and no Ubuntu linux phone with which to look up and test commands before posting them.

TNFrank
July 9th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I've also noticed a lack of replies to things that are posted as well. I posted a really cool channel that I found on Roku last night, 87 views and not a single reply. Guess people just can't be bothered to reply to stuff here anymore OR maybe it's just me, LOL. :confused:

sffvba[e0rt
July 9th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Some threads will be of more interest to users than others... ;)

cbennett926
July 9th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Some threads will be of more interest to users than others... ;)

As sad as it it this is my first post in like... at least 2 months. In my excuse I just got married!