PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Fix dependencies failed due to no space left on device

Macamba
July 8th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Hi all,

I'm struggling with a problem, a bit.

While updating my software I got an error. I was asked to report it, but that failed too. In the end all I got was the following window:

Problem in vhba-dkms
This problem cannot be reported
This is not an official ubuntu package. Please remove any third party package and try again.

Next I tried to fix the installation.

macamba@Hermod:~$ sudo apt-get install --fix-broken
Unpacking linux-headers-3.2.0-49 (from .../linux-headers-3.2.0-49_3.2.0-49.75_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-headers-3.2.0-49_3.2.0-49.75_all.deb (--unpack):
unable to create `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-49/arch/s390/include/asm/segment.h.dpkg-new'
(while processing `./usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-49/arch/s390/include/asm/segment.h'): No space left on device
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/linux-headers-3.2.0-49_3.2.0-49.75_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

"No space left on device" eh?

So I tried to remove some old kernels automatically, failed, and tried to remove them manually.

But still the same problem. I have packages with unmet dependencies, linux-headers-3.2.0-49-generic. If I perform a sudo apt-get -f install I get:

The following extra packages will be installed:
linux-headers-3.2.0-49
The following NEW packages will be installed:
linux-headers-3.2.0-49
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 11.7 MB of archives.
After this operation, 56.3 MB of additional disk space will be used.

So, 56.3 MB of additional disk space will be used. How much space do I have?

df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda10 8.1G 6.6G 1.1G 87% /

So, that should work out, should it not? No, it should not. I still get the "No space left on device". And that while I have 1.1G available!

So, what are my options? Do I do a fresh install with a LiveCD? (I checked, what I burned last week, Ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso is still the latest.

TIA,
Macamba

dino99
July 8th, 2013, 10:35 AM
the system, by default, will complaint if the free space is less than 10/15 % of the whole partition size. (it needs it for downloading updates and unflatting packages, and creating tmp files, ...)
and your sda10 is very narrow; usually a 10/12G is used at least. So uninstall some app(s) and/or meta-package(s) you does not really need/use (for example video-all & input-all from xserver)

dfayo
July 10th, 2013, 05:15 AM
I had the same problem. This is what I did:

I used
rm -rfv /usr/src/(old kernels) to remove 5 previous versions leaving newest (linux-headers-3.2.0-49) and the two previous, then
apt-get install --fix-broken which fixed the problem.

I'm relatively new to Ubuntu, so appologies if my Terminal commands are not formatted correctly.

Macamba
July 10th, 2013, 08:17 AM
I had the same problem. This is what I did:

I used to remove 5 previous versions leaving newest (linux-headers-3.2.0-49) and the two previous, then which fixed the problem.

I'm relatively new to Ubuntu, so appologies if my Terminal commands are not formatted correctly.

Hi dfayo,

Thanks. That actually helped. I found out I had quite a few old kernels, beginning with linux-headers-3.2.0-33. I started with a listing of the diskdirectory, followed by a double check to find out the latest kernel

cd /usr/src/
ls -la
uname -r

Next I started to remove the directories that where superfluous (I quickly removed the fv from your commands)

sudo rm -r /usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-37*

This removes both linux-headers-3.2.0-37 and linux-headers-3.2.0-37-generic

And then some necessary housekeeping

apt-get install --fix-broken

Then I updated my bootloader Grub2, and reordered its contents as I want to have Windows at the top.

sudo update-grub2
gksudo grub-customizer

Anyway, thanks.
Macamba