PDA

View Full Version : How often do touchpads come loose?

ki4jgt
July 7th, 2013, 08:44 AM
This is the second laptop I've had which I had disassemble and reassemble it in order to reconnect the touchpad. How often does this happen with Laptops? My old laptop required me doing it constantly. This is the first time I've had to do it to my new Inspiron 15R and I don't want to make a habit of doing it.

mips
July 7th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Never had that happen or seen it happen. Is it just the connector that comes loose? If it's the connector maybe apply a small dab of silicone to the two joining parts of the connector (on the outside, not the contacts!) and leave to set for 24hrs should it happen again in future.

ki4jgt
July 7th, 2013, 10:50 AM
It's the little connector under the bar that goes down over it. I had to duct tape the battery connector on my Nexus 7 b/c of this happening. Apparently it happens a lot to them and a few other nexus users suggested I do it. However, I've never seen or heard other people complaining about how their laptop keyboards and touchpads just all of the sudden stopped working but it seems to be reoccurring event for me. My Acer and my Dell have done it. Looked up my laptop model and found a guy talking about the same problem. He says he's had users who bring in their laptops about every three or so months from where it get's loose. He directed me to a post about adding a layer of duct tape on the strip to give the connection more to hold onto. I think I'll try your idea though. It sounds a little bit simpler than his.