PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] During 13.04 upgrade, failed to remove packages

zpierce
July 6th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I did the upgrade to 13.04 this morning, and everything went well but when I got to the part where it removes packages, I looked over the list and noticed it was removing Python, which I thought was odd. So I selected Python and hit Keep, but that caused it to keep all the packages it was going to remove. Is there a way to have those removed now? It was over 50 packages, so I don't remember what even half of them were. Thanks.

DJ_Max
July 6th, 2013, 01:14 PM
What was the name of the package? Was it the Python interperter, or a Python module? It's either going to remove/upgrade or if it's a module it probabably doesn't need it anymore. APT usually knows what's best.

zpierce
July 6th, 2013, 01:44 PM
It was Python 3.2 that I was trying to keep, but there were over 50 packages set to be removed, and it kept them all.

DJ_Max
July 6th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Ubuntu 13.04 uses Python v3.3

Like I said, APT usually knows best. Let it upgrade and/or remove packages. You're likely run into issues trying to keep outdated packages.

zpierce
July 6th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Ok,in the future I'll trust it, but my question is now that I have completed the upgrade to 13.04 and have accidentally kept all those outdated packages, is there any way to get them removed now? Obviously, I don't remember what they all were, so I can't manually go and remove them. Do I have to just wait for 13.10?

DJ_Max
July 6th, 2013, 02:00 PM
How did you upgrade? You should be able to

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get autoremove

zpierce
July 6th, 2013, 02:18 PM
autoremove did it, thanks

DJ_Max
July 6th, 2013, 02:33 PM
The APT package manager is very mature. It's come a very long way, in terms of handling dependcies and it's user-friendliness